Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla Denarius. Horn silver? advice needed  (Read 2219 times)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Caracalla Denarius. Horn silver? advice needed
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:36:31 pm »
Hello friends,

I picked this up recently in hopes of improving it with some cleaning. Seller's description says that it is "plated" but I'm not to sure about that, although silver isn't my area.

I have read many old threads on horn silver, lemon juice, etc etc and would like some advice on how to proceed with this coin.

One question first: Is this horn silver or some type of other deposit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Kurt

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Caracalla Denarius. Horn silver? advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 01:56:48 pm »
Hi Kurt,
Why do you doubt seller's description that it's plated? From your photos, it looks like a plated coin with significant flaking-off of the plate layer, revealing a non-silver (probably bronze) core. Cleaning will not improve this coin, and would likely remove more of the silver plating.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 02:51:28 pm »
Thank you Michael.

I have poor eyesight and couldn't find my reader glasses and to my eyes the black areas looked convex on the surfaces.  Having found them I can see that you are correct. The best laid plans of Mice and Men..........guess I will have to leave it as is.

Cheers

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:08:14 pm »
how much does it weigh?

and to me it looks like it is on top but I may be wrong - if it wasn't that expensive I would try various ways to see for sure

and

I have bought a Caracalla that both the seller and I thought was plated and it turned out it wasn't

soak it in distilled water for a few weeks and see what happens -

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:01:46 am »
It is clearly plated.  When you look closely at the pictures you can see that the very dark bits are below the silver.  However, there is some thicker dark green verdigris or corrosion on some of the exposed dark copper parts.

Personally I don't think anymore cleaning is possible.

The coin is kind of nice as it is and s clearly identifiable.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity