Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AR starter of Persian Satrap Mazaios (Mazday)  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
AR starter of Persian Satrap Mazaios (Mazday)
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:12:17 pm »
Hello!

Does anyone know what do those two Aramaic letters below the lion, on this starter of Mazaios refer to?! The second one is surely an "M", but not sure about the first one and the meaning of both together.

Thank you!
Arya

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: AR starter of Persian Satrap Mazaios (Mazday)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 06:28:26 pm »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Phoenician%20Alphabet

Samekh mem (SM, read right to left). I don't know the meaning.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »
I agree with president Sermarini .
On this type other than MZDI , and Baal name on the other side , no one knows what those letters are.
Every researcher has a theory but no proof.

I love the type , I have a little humble opinion ;

I say those are numbers stand for the date , value or weight....
As I like to say ; who grows on something , gets old on it. The Easterns always wanted on their money, the value or the weight of it.

Added**;

And to see how confusing when people are left with no clue , while I was writing , I was telling my self.
Malka means king in Aramaic also Aramaic who lived in Syria were called Sir' io io.….so the SM could it be for  MZDI King of Sir'ioio since the title Malka was ok because it is  under the Kess ra title ( the Persian super power title )
and the letters on the other side of the coin stand for value and weight...

Man it is an ocean …  :)

Good night
Sam Mansourati

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:19:04 pm »
Thank you Joe, I had checked the letters before, but apparently overlooked Samekh!. I also checked De Morgan, and it was silent about it, although this type with exact same letters was depicted in the book. It only gives the main legend, being the god and the king.
And thank you Sam, interesting opinion! :). Imagination is limitless! Who knows may be that's true. Before I raise this, I was almost convinced that it's bound to be the year or another type of number. Weight would be rather less likely, as I haven't seen it on any Persian issues. Anyhow, I believe there has to be an element of consistency with these sort of things (year, weight, etc), even for other "Malka"'s of the same period, therefore, it should be repeated more often.

Apart from the letters, the lion attacking the bull is very very interesting, and in fact he main reason I bought the coin. Not sure if you've seen it before, but this is similar to a well-known relief in Persepolis, remaining from the same (Achaemenid) period (see attached). It is known that this symbolic scene is related to "Nowrouz" which is the first day of Spring in Persian calendar. Lion symbolising sun which is dominating the earth (bull). I knew this before, but recently came across a very interesting silver work from earlier Elamite empire with the same scene (also attached). Incredible, isn't it?

Regards,
Arya

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 08:22:14 pm »
You got something out of your name my friend , you are an Ar' ya.

I am more to the numbers theory ( as you know the numbers in the ancient eastern languages are letters.
I just said what I was just thinking to show how open the case is.
Very nice coin !

Now just for fun , look at your lion and my lion ' s face and
tell me what do you see ?
Sam Mansourati

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:53:06 pm »
LOL, I hope you don't mean the Pink Panther?!!!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 04:08:25 pm »
 ;D  oh No  ;D

All what I mean is ; You seem to love the type , and so do I.
Let see if you we both get the same answer , when we look to the lion face.

I think this type is also Joe's favorite .
Sam Mansourati

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 01:14:16 pm »
OK , I will tell you what I see;
I see respect , mercy and thank on the Lion face , different than Mzdi show of power on this superb masterpiece ;
From my dear friend n.igma ' s collection    / Asia Minor

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-116113
Sam Mansourati

All coins are guaranteed for eternity