Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin photo processing  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
Coin photo processing
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:18:17 pm »
Hello,

Is there any software out there that auto crops, and/or auto combines coin photos? Right now I am using photoshop, but it is taking a long time to do all the processing.

Thanks!
Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Coin photo processing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:09:45 pm »
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »
I am unaware of such software and would have no interest in i since I value being able to control the process manually.  Until you get what you want, you might try some shortcuts that will speed things.

1. Shoot two different coins side by side in one shot selecting them as similar in size and tone.  Always place the obverse on the left and reverse on the right.  Then use cut and paste to swap the sides to be with their correct mate and save both using new file names so as not to overwrite the originals.  

2. Processing is much simpler if you shoot things close to the way you want them rather than trying to save poor exposures.  Use manual exposure so both sides of the coins are exposed the same.  A few tests will provide you with the correct exposures for a lot of coins shot at the same time but auto exposure tends to try to be corrective every time you shoot a coin and a certain number will be bad.  You may have to allow a fudge factor to compensate for light or dark coins but it is worth doing this right before you start processing.  

3. Shoot coins in an order of size (small to large or large to small) and tone (dark together and light together) to cut down on the time you spend changing settings.  

Photoshop is a wonderful program for professional use by the graphics industry.  It is serious overkill for what you need for coin use or for that matter hobbyist photographer use (nature and kids).  There are many cheaper and easier programs including some free ones  but I have not kept up with all the choices.  It is not necessary to spend hundreds on software for coins.  I use Canon DPP RAW conversion freeware and Adobe Photoshop Elements but most features are never touched for coin use (I do other photos,too). I'm sure every photographer has their own favorites.  

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »
Thank you! I will try some of these ideas out. I appreciate the help.
Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 05:11:33 pm »
I am a big fan of the free software Gimp.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity