Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gold plated seal box? ID needed  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Gold plated seal box? ID needed
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:25:08 pm »
Hi all,
Curious to know what this object is... Could it be a seal box? I'd appreciate any opinions on age, culture of manufacture or anything else you could tell me.

It's been crushed but would have been pretty fancy in its day. It looks gold plated... and the metal may be silver or another white metal.

It's 21x17mm but pre-crush would have probably been 20x20mm
3.5 grams

Thank you!

Josh

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Gold plated seal box? ID needed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
Any idea where it came from?  Looks a bit like 18th-19th century Ottoman jewellery. 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Gold plated seal box? ID needed
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:30:41 pm »
Not really... It was a "it's Friday, I've had a bottle of wine, let's burn some money" type of thing. I got it cheaply from a seller that sells metal detector finds out of Eastern Europe. I asked in a message but they had no further information. Thanks for any info or guesses you have!

Edit: one additional point of information. I originally thought those were hinges at the bottom but with a metal post through them... They could be feet for it to stand on end maybe? It's pretty small so I don't know what it could be for. It seems to be too big for an ear decoration and weirdly shaped for a pendant... Not sure...

Josh

All coins are guaranteed for eternity