Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gift coin suggestions?  (Read 2546 times)

Ann D

Gift coin suggestions?
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »
Hello!
My teenage son has a keen interest in the history of ancient Rome and the Byzantine empire.
I think he would love to own a good Roman coin or two (or more) depicting one of the following emperors:  Julian (the Apostate), Constantine, Trajan, Hadrian, or Octavian
The idea that the coins were actually used by people of the time is an amazing thing-- I used to collect coins for that reason, but nothing approaching this age!

I was thinking of spending around $100 for a Christmas gift.  I could go a little higher if needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something in that price range that's particularly interesting, artistic, pretty, etc.?  Silver would be nice if a decent one is affordable.

Thank you,
Ann

Offline Ann H

• Auxiliary
Re: Gift coin suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 09:58:36 am »
Thanks, Molinari!

That helps.  I think I'll buy one of the Hadrians you listed.

I do wish there was something with Justin II for sale.  Are those very rare and/or expensive?

Ann

Offline Ann H

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:26:53 am »
Sorry I meant Julian II the Apostate :-[

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:45:29 am »
Not particularly.  Search Joe's catalog for Julian II, he probably has a few.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 01:23:19 pm »
Ann , pleasure to meet you.
Make sure to have your son register as a member here , he will get the up-to-date in field.

Added** ; You also can buy him a gift card from FORVM Coin Shop , that he can use anytime.
Some nice Denarius ; ( Sort by price up )

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=18&pos=1&srch=2&pos=1&grade=&what=denarius&B1=Search&itemnumber=&attribution=&category=&metal=&denomination=&mint=&pricel=&priceh=&obvinsc=&obvdesc=&revinsc=&revdesc=&rsi=&status=available&vorderby=priceasc
Sam Mansourati

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 09:52:45 pm »
Ann,

Welcome to the forum.  Coins of Julian II are not hard to find in nice condition.  His two bronze types are a small coin with VOT X MVLT XX in a wreath and a large coin with a bull and the legend SECVRITAS REIPVB.

Oddly, Joe does not appear to have any in his catalogue right now.  But maybe he has some in stock and not yet listed. 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 10:52:00 pm »
Coins of Julian II are not hard to find in nice condition.  His two bronze types are a small coin with VOT X MVLT XX in a wreath and a large coin with a bull and the legend SECVRITAS REIPVB.
welcome Helen!

those are the two Augustus types, but there are also two other bronze types struck while Julian was Caesar, SPES REIPVBLICE and FEL TEMP REPARATIO. both of these are relatively easy to find and well within your budget.
there are also the silver Siliqua issues, but these are generally more expensive.
and all of these were struck at various mints, with some being artistically superior to others.

your son has very refined taste, as those are some of the most fascinating Roman emperors (along with Marcus Aurelius), and all should be easy to find within your price range.
happy hunting!

~ Peter

Ann D

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »
Thank you all for the welcome!
I'll keep a watch out for Julian coins as there are none for sale here now. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity