Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antique Silver Coin Cabinet Ticket for Roman Republican Moneyers  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Antique Silver Coin Cabinet Ticket for Roman Republican Moneyers
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:38:08 am »
Here's something interesting I picked up yesterday: a set of 165 antique silver coin cabinet tickets with the names of Roman Republican moneyers. From the format of the moneyer's names which follow Cohen and earlier works, rather than Babelon and later, I'm guessing these are 18th century or early 19th century. Small pic in thread, larger pic below so you can read the tickets!

There's one moneyer missing so far as I can see (Volteia) but all the others differ including one marked "INCERTA". Whilst they look lovely on the scrabble board, I may want to use it again so my plan is to do something rather ordinary with them in the long term - use these as, or as part of, my actual coin tickets in the trays, where over 100 special coins (focusing on those with great pedigrees) will get a little silver ticket alongside them in their cabinet slot.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Antique Silver Coin Cabinet Ticket for Roman Republican Moneyers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:23:49 am »
Very cool Andrew!

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 09:03:58 am »
Thats pretty neat. +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:15:23 pm »
That is really cool!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:51:19 pm »
What might the V stand for, before each family name? One might have expected G for Gens.

Does the INCERTA marker also have a V?
Curtis Clay

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 09:35:50 pm »
Very neat !!

Someone went to a lot of trouble and probably a decent expense to have them made up.

And the toning is beautiful......possibly the perfect example of "cabinet toning".

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:54:56 pm »
It's weird, but nice. It's also strange that they just mention the moneyer's gens, and not the full name or the date. 

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 10:55:56 pm »
Do the letters seem individually engraved or struck from a prepared punch?  This would add weight to the question of these being one of a kind or a product produced commercially (odd we had not seen them in this case).

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 01:52:29 am »
Do the letters seem individually engraved or struck from a prepared punch?  This would add weight to the question of these being one of a kind or a product produced commercially (odd we had not seen them in this case).

Individually engraved, and sometimes they ran out of space and had to jam in the letters, sometime there was open space left at the end and sometime it was a perfect fit. There's also evidently been an occasional replacement, engraved in a different hand on a slightly different disc size. Definitely a one off.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 02:04:24 am »
What might the V stand for, before each family name? One might have expected G for Gens.

Does the INCERTA marker also have a V?

That's the mystery I was hoping a Latin scholar might help with. There isn't just V
- about 80% are preceded by V. (eg Baebia) or V.AE. (eg Numitoria) or V.AV. (eg Cestia)
- most the rest are preceded by P. (eg Quinctilia)
- one has X.V. (Statia ie Murcus RRC 510)
- two have no letter preceding - Incerta and Saufeia though I think the latter is a replacement

There's no correlation between P / V and Republican / Augustan / Provincial issues. I thought about Patrician / Plebian in some language but many gens are both. I think if someone solves thr mystery of V / P / X.V it will help our understanding a lot.

The choice of names pre dates Babelon but I wonder could I get a better handle on the date by finding a specific antiquarian numismatic book that has a list of moneyers that closely matches this list including Silia (in Cohen but not Babelon) Aebutia (bronze of Corinth I recall) and Rubellia (sounds like measles)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 11:05:00 am »
In the picture below (thumbnail in the post) you can see how I'm incorporating the tickets into my collection. One typical tray show...

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 11:41:17 am »
I would think the markers deserve their own compartents, if you have enough tray space!
Curtis Clay

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 01:57:48 pm »
I'm having a careful think about to present and arrange all my 'ticket' information, whether past tags, provenance proofs, my own tags or these silver tags. I've binders of tags organised according to my collection and likely eventually the silver pieces will go in there too. Or perhaps under my paper tags under my coins. Or in parallel (every alternate) tray. Work in progress. Meanwhile I wanted to start allocating the silver tickets to actual coins.

Offline Norbert

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 02:35:12 pm »

Mommsen, in the German edition, names gens Rubellii ( C. Rubellius Blandus) and Silii (Silius) as moneyers for bronze under Augustus in a footnote in part 8 and his appendix on mints, moneyers (and families).

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 03:49:05 pm »

Mommsen, in the German edition, names gens Rubellii ( C. Rubellius Blandus) and Silii (Silius) as moneyers for bronze under Augustus in a footnote in part 8 and his appendix on mints, moneyers (and families).

Thanks Norbert, that's helpful. Maybe that's the source of the list, I'll have a look in Mommsen.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 01:19:09 am »
Hi Andrew,

That's an interesting item! :)

They look beautiful with that toning.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity