Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I Campgate- RIC 71, Antioch var. Pedestal base  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
Constantine I Campgate- RIC 71, Antioch var. Pedestal base
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:47:04 am »
An interesting Camp Gate reverse with the pedestal base seen on some campgate types struck at Thessalonica.  I have not found another example of Constantine I with the pedestal from Antioch.

OBV:  CONSTAN_TINVS AVG - Laureate head right.
REV: PROVIDEN_TIAE AVGG - Camp Gate with eight rows, two turrets, star above, above trapezoidal pedestal or ramp at base, top row of blocks with circles, pellet in door.  Delta in left field, Epsilon in right.  SMANT in exergue.  18mm, 3.6 grams.

I did find one other example of a camp gate type from Antioch (Constantine II, RICVII 74) shown at beast coinshttp://www.beastcoins.com/Topical/Architecture/Campgate-Antioch/ConstantiusII-RICVII-74-SMANTH-ramp-12.jpg

Is anyone aware of other pedestal base Camp Gates from other mints besides Thessalonica?

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
Re: Constantine I Campgate- RIC 71, Antioch var. Pedestal base
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 06:50:33 am »
The Constantine II example from Beast Coins (RIC VII, 74 Antioch):

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 08:00:48 am »
Constantinople

and Cyzicus

ZM

PS. Images from forum.tpzn.pl

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 08:07:36 am »
Wow..... Two additional mints right from the get go.   That's Thessalonica, Antioch, Constantinople and Cyzicus so far.   Thanks Zenon!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 08:46:32 am »
Hi,

I can add Constantius II from Ticinum, RIC VII Ticinum 201.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
Mauseus,  That is a very interesting coin.   :o    Has a nice Architectural vibe with the taller lower blocks & turrets.  That makes five different mints with the ramp type base.   

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 05:29:24 pm »
Nicomedia https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=847306 and Alexandria RICVII50 (I think) can also have bases.

Tjaart

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 07:02:05 pm »
Thanks tjaart, So we have confirmed:

Antioch, Constantinople, Cyzicus, Nicomedia, Thessalonica, Ticinum, and possibly Alexandria.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 08:12:41 pm »
For Camp Gate lovers...this website is devoted to them!

http://www.campgatecoins.com

Lots of examples with pics.
BTW,  Believe Siscia is another with that base.

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 09:22:35 pm »
Thanks Vincent....   That's a great website.   I found three examples with pedestal bases from Sirmium there.    Still looking for examples from:

Alexandria, Aquileia, Arles, Heraclea, Londonium, Lyons, Rome & Siscia.

I never noticed that Campgates from Aquileia are basically nonexistent for Constantine & his sons.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 11:54:14 am »
I believe that the design feature is more properly called a "plinth".  A plinth is an architectural feature, while a building itself would not have a pedestal base.

While most of these show true plinths - with the base extending out to the ground at roughly 45 degrees on each side - the coin from Cyzicus does not.  It appears to have only an extra base line.  It would be interesting to see if all examples from Cyzicus lack the 45 degree bits or not.  If so it might not be a true plinth.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Enes Korkmaz

• Praetorian
  • Kostas Giannakapoulos
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 12:20:09 pm »
Very interesting! Thank you.
K. Giannakapoulos

Offline romeman

• Consul
  • ROMA AETERNA
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 03:22:15 pm »
Returning to the mint of Antioch, I checked my database (admittedly very patchy). Of 151 examples of Antioch VII RIC 71, only four had a plinth, two from officina  :Greek_Gamma: and one each from officina  :Greek_epsilon: and  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon:. So fitzwilks's coin is quite rare. And the nicest of them all, I think!

/Lars

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 05:33:09 am »
I believe that the design feature is more properly called a "plinth".  A plinth is an architectural feature, while a building itself would not have a pedestal base.

While most of these show true plinths - with the base extending out to the ground at roughly 45 degrees on each side - the coin from Cyzicus does not.  It appears to have only an extra base line.  It would be interesting to see if all examples from Cyzicus lack the 45 degree bits or not.  If so it might not be a true plinth.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn,  "Plinth" does seem to be the best term for this feature.  From Wiki:

In architecture, a plinth (from French plinthe, from Latin plinthus, from Greek πλίνθος plinthos, “brick”) is the base or platform upon which a column, pedestal, statue, monument or structure rests.  Gottfried Semper's The Four Elements of Architecture (1851) posited that the plinth, the hearth, the roof, and the wall make up all of architectural theory. The plinth usually rests directly on the ground or stylobate. According to Semper, the plinth exists to negotiate between a structure and the ground. Semper's theory has been influential in the development of architecture.

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 05:38:20 am »
Hi Lars,  Thanks for your comments and providing images of the other Plinth examples from Antioch.   I've learned quite a bit from this thread.  Very fascinating.

Offline Ante A

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 02:17:43 pm »
Bust left. Campgate with 7 layers with dots in top  two turets and star. Pedestl. Smts delta

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 05:34:47 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity