Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius Mesopotamia, earlier post revived - Lucius Verus drachm added!  (Read 1271 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Hi!

This coin was in identification thread already, but I also decided to post it here with better pictures too. I have another question about obverse legend.

Kurt E helped to figure that the last three letters APM might stand for ΑΡΜƐΝΙΑΚΟС (Thank you Kurt!).  But I have also noticed that there is letter 'O' right after AYT, which is not suppossed to in a standard obverse legend AYT K M AYP ANTΩNINOC.  Unfortunately the large part of the legend is missing, that is why I would like to ask you to reconstruct the obverse legend if possible.

Also, is this type recorded?? - I did not see it in RPC.

Thank you for your time in advance!

Ob. AYTO -----NTΩNINOC APM  bare head bust with fold of cloack on far shoulder
Rev. VΠEP NIKHC POMAIΩN (For the Victory of the Romans), Female figure standing left with globe and cornucopiae

2,7g - 17,5mm - 11h

Z

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Marcus Aurelius dracmh Mesopotamia questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 02:10:08 pm »
Hi Timka,
I have recorded about 20 obverse dies for Marcus' drachms of the Mesopotamian mint, and this one is new to me. In fact, there's only one other die with the military epitheton of 'Armeniacus' (in the ANS). The reverse type is known, also with this legend, but this die is also new to me.

The legends on these drachms vary much more than denarii of the same time, with lots of minor variations, including AVTO for 'Autokrator', Greek for imperator. The missing part of the legend probably includes abbreviations for Kaisar Markos Aurelios.
Regards
Gert

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:49:31 am »
Hi Gert!

Thank you for your expert opinion - very much appreciated! It seems that this whole mesopotamian mint of drachms for Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus was massive enough, but it all vanished through the ages - only rare specimens managed to survive until now.

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:46:53 am »
Hi!

I would like to add a new drachm of Lucius Verus here too. I checked RPC online, but could not find one like this with Salus...Though I could miss it, as I'm not fluent in RPC.

I translated the reverse from Greek using google translate, and google suggested THE VICTORY OF THE LADIES - ? I suspect something could go wrong with translation:) - so what is said on the reverse in reality then? - would much appreciate your help.

Also, all those few silver drachms of Lucis Verus on RPC have bare head. My coin is laureate ( though, may be I found not all of them on RPC).

ob. ΑVΤ Κ Λ ΑVΡ οΥΗΡοС СƐΒ , laur head right
Rev. VΠƐΡ ΝΙΚΗС ΤΩΝ ΚVΡΙΩΝ СƐ, Salus with scepter standing left, feeding snake coiled around altar  

2,7g - 18mm - 0'

Thanks much for your time!

Z.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Rev. legend "For the Victory of Our Lords the Augusti".
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity