Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Overstruck Philistia Drachm  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Overstruck Philistia Drachm
« on: November 05, 2016, 12:13:38 am »
I recently added this coin to my gallery.  Does anyone have a clue what the under type might be?

Thanks

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-132870

PHILISTIA (PALESTINE), Uncertain mint. Mid 5th century-333 BC. AR Drachm (15mm, 3.95 g, 12h). Imitating Athens. Overstruck on uncertain type.
O: Helmeted head of Athena right, with profile eye
R: Owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig left; all within incuse square.
-Gitler & Tal IX.1D; HGC 10, –.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Re: Overstruck Philistia Drachm
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:04:40 pm »
The answer was in front of me all along, simply the same die rotated 145 degrees.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:29:24 pm »
You just love over struck coins , don't you  :) .

Added **  By the way it is on acsearch 2014
Sam Mansourati

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 06:33:22 pm »
That's really cool.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 06:49:54 pm »
You just love over struck coins , don't you  :) .

I do love overstruck coins but they drive me absolutely crazy trying to figure them out! I need to remind myself to consider the most obvious possibility before trying to find a more exotic solutions!

I wonder why in the world they would have struck the coin twice like this?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:44:30 pm »
I'd imagine it was an accident, right?  Like maybe a struck coin fell back into a basket of blanks.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:30:15 pm »
I'd imagine it was an accident, right?  Like maybe a struck coin fell back into a basket of blanks.

I would have to think that's it, just a simple mint error. 

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:13 pm »
Too much wine

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 08:55:58 pm »
 ;D
Too much wine

That might explain it as well. I have seen a number of rotated overstrikes that appear to be very intentional, creating interesting designs.  It's hard to imagine a more boring job than striking coins all day.  Maybe they did this every once in a while to break the monotony.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 09:04:15 pm »
Among this beautiful mess , let us look for (an) Aramaic letter(s).

PHILISTIA  type usually have them on.
Sam Mansourati

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 09:42:40 pm »
If the two rev. dies are different, then it would be a "Kraay" overstrike, where those two rev. dies were being applied alternately at the same obv. die, and a finished coin was not removed fast enough, so was mistakenly overstruck with the second rev. die.
Curtis Clay

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 10:00:44 pm »
Unless I'm mistaken the obverse appears to be similarly over struck, albeit by the obverse die, with the same rotational component as the reverse, suggesting the coin remained on the anvil after the initial strike, but rotated on the anvil before being struck again.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:14:54 pm »
If the two rev. dies are different, then it would be a "Kraay" overstrike, where those two rev. dies were being applied alternately at the same obv. die, and a finished coin was not removed fast enough, so was mistakenly overstruck with the second rev. die.

Very interesting! I do believe the reverse it a die match however, they seem to aline perfectly.

Unless I'm mistaken the obverse appears to be similarly over struck, albeit by the obverse die, with the same rotational component as the reverse, suggesting the coin remained on the anvil after the initial strike, but rotated on the anvil before being struck again.

Yes, I agree. I believe you can see the remnants of the crest in front of Athena's face and remnants of the neck on top of her head.   If the coin mistakenly remained in the anvil after the first strike, wouldn't we expect another flan to have been placed on top resulting in a flattened owl

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 12:12:04 am »
..... If the coin mistakenly remained in the anvil after the first strike, wouldn't we expect another flan to have been placed on top resulting in a flattened owl?  

Not necessarily. It may have been an oblique initial strike that only partially imprinted the design on the flan (note its off-centre reverse) which remained on the anvil and rotated as the punch was lifted. Seeing the result of an imperfect imprint the mint workers simply gave it another bash overprinting the rotated imperfect initial off-centre design imprint, not that the final result is any better but they tried!
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity