Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A bronze bird I have always wondered about  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Salaethus

• Praetorian
A bronze bird I have always wondered about
« on: November 04, 2016, 04:26:30 pm »
Hi all,

I thought I'd share a piece in my collection that has bothered me for some time.  I bought it very early in my collecting career, and so it's one of the few pieces that has a kind of "orphan" status with an unverifiable/hearsay provenance of simply "from the collection of a Spanish gentleman, formed in 1950s".  I often go from doubting this piece's authenticity, in part because it just looks "different" to my other bronzes, to looking at it closely under a microscope and feeling completely reassured.  But I still always feel like I could be wrong, and so I've never fully accepted the piece as I do my other antiquities.  So, take a look, let me hear me your impressions, and perhaps you can assuage my fears or confirm my doubts!  There are some little interesting features that are shown in the photos: where it is broken at the legs, you can see there are inserted metal pieces, I always thought they might be for attachment.  There are areas where the patina is thin enough to see the bare metal beneath, however, there are also many colorful layers of patina and corrosion (especially on the inside of the legs) which look pretty convincingly ancient to me.  There is another break at the beak, and there is an area of the tail that is slightly bent from damage.  It seems to be solid bronze, and is heavy for the size, it weighs around 300g.  Its length is 2.5in (6.3cm).  It was described to me as a 1st-2nd century Roman eagle statuette. 

Thanks and hope to hear your thoughts!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-129639

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
Re: A bronze bird I have always wondered about
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 07:09:01 pm »
It looks more like a parakeet than an eagle to me.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: A bronze bird I have always wondered about
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:07:56 am »
Yes, the head is not eagle.  Almost certainly parakeet.

Though some Roman parrot statuettes are known - at least one was discussed on this board - they are very rare.

I think it is more likely a Renaissance to early modern piece.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity