Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very rare coin form Pautalia  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
Very rare coin form Pautalia
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:44:18 pm »
I just started posting out here so don't want to get carried away but several of you have been really helpful with information on the two other coins I put out here in the past few days.  Here is another one I have owned for awhile, it is the only example I have ever seen for sale and it is also the same coin as in Wildwinds.  I would be very interested to know more about it if anyone has information, in the Wildwinds description it has a different Varbanov number than I was given subsequently and I don't have that book unfortunately.  It also mentions a "Senator Traxt" which is someone I have never found anything else about, my own belief is that the figure in the temple is Asklepios, though represented as a statue as it is also Asklepios in  the flesh standing in the tree branch.  If anyone knows how many examples of this are out there I would also be interested to know.  If not please just enjoy, it is a very interesting coin.

Caracalla, Thrace, Pautalia AE 31 The reverse shows a tetrastyle temple 3/4 view with a statue of Asklepios in the entrance, snake in the entablature; to left is a large tree between two burning altars, Asclepios himself is standing on a branch in the tree with a snake entwined staff. Varbanov 3491 (Wildwinds has this coin as Varbanov 5254) and Price and Trell figure 434 (Paris)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Very rare coin form Pautalia
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:22:22 pm »

Great coin!!

congrats

c.rhodes

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Very rare coin from Pautalia
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 02:08:16 pm »
A very neat rev. type!

Why a second statue of Asclepios in a tree? One could think, maybe a statue in a grove of trees near the temple was meant, but in that case the artist would probably have depicted a statue base too, and in the type as rendered the ground line of the statue seems to rest directly on a tree branch, not separated from the tree as though standing behind it in a grove!

I haven't searched for further specimens in the internet, but in the standard catalogues only two specimens of this coin seem to have been published, namely

yours from Wildwinds, which is taken over from Wildwinds and illustrated in Varbanov's 2nd English edition, no. 5254, though the photo is mislabeled 5253;

and one in Paris, published by Ruzicka, Pautalia, no. 710, rev. illustrated pl. IV.16, which was taken over by Varbanov, 2nd ed. 5253 = 1st. (Bulgarian) ed. 3491.

This specimen seems to come from a different rev. die than yours, unless it's been rather skillfully tooled and recut, and its obv. also is described as being different, just Head laureate right and a slight variant of the obv. legend,  AV not AVP and NE of ANTĪ©NEINOC ligate.

So there's the explanation for your two Varbanov numbers: in the 1st and 2nd ed. respectively of his work.

As to Senator Traxt, that's apparently just a mistranslation of Ruzicka's German, describing the figure in the temple as a bearded man in senatorial clothing, "in senatorischer Tracht"! "Tracht" in German means "clothing, outfit, attire". The fact that nouns are capitalized in German apparently misled the translator into thinking "Tracht" was somebody's name. Since "ch" is the transliteration of the Greek chi=X, he decided to replace the ch in Senator Tracht's name with an "x".
Curtis Clay

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:42:15 pm »
Thank you Mr. Clay!  I really appreciate the information on the coin and finally an explanation of the mysterious "Senator Traxt."     

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 06:25:05 pm »
Hi RH7,

That's a beautiful coin!!! :)

Meepzorp

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »
Very nice indeed, never seen a tree on a coin
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 01:42:34 pm »
Great coin and nice scene..:)

+++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity