Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Baktrian monograms and mint attribution question  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
Baktrian monograms and mint attribution question
« on: October 24, 2016, 06:30:56 am »
I have been interested in adding a Baktrian Menander I drachm to my collection for quite a while, and finally got one earlier this year.

I recall some time ago the different monograms on these coins were attributed to specific mints, for example Taxila, Chach, Panjhir and Pushkalavati.

More recently I have noticed these mints are never mentioned in the description; the attributions just note the presence of a monogram.

Does anybody know what happened to these monogram/mint attributions? What was the original evidence for attribution of the mints based on the monograms?

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
Re: Baktrian monograms and mint attribution question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:38:59 pm »
Apparently they could be moneyers' marks. It is improbable that some kings controlled as many cities as the number of monograms found on their coins.

https://books.google.fr/books?id=BAg6AAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
(p.437)

Perhaps another explanation has been given in more recent literature. I haven't read Bopearachchi yet...

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:12 am »
The association of monograms with Bactrian mints originates with Mitchiner's 1975 work Indo-Greek and Indo-Scythian Coinage.  This work was the first comprehensive catalogue of Greco-Bactrian coinage, but the mint attributions were based on nothing more than Mitchiner's conjecture, associating monograms and inferring city names in them, unsupported by archaeological, or other hard evidence. This aspect of Mitchiner's work has fallen into disrepute and modern studies, including coin hoards from Ai Khanoum and other sites indicate there is no substance to his conjecture regarding mint and workshop attributions.

That said debate rages regarding possible mints particularly between coins attributed to Bactra/Balkh by Bopearachchi versus Ai Khanoum of Holt, Kritt, and Houghton and Lorber. Ai Khanoum was unknown to Mitchiner, the publication of the archaeological excavations post-dating his work, so it does not even figure in his mint attributions. Yet the evidence for a mint at Ai Khanoum is compelling in my opinion. By the same token there is absolutely no archeological evidence found to date of Greek age archaeological remains at Bactra/Balk so the idea of a Greco-Bactrian mint at this city remains conjectural.  As for the other mints you note the basis is even more speculative.  

Start with the articles in the bibliography attached to this paper if you want to start to understand the issues involved ... https://www.academia.edu/4429886/When_Did_the_Greeks_Abandon_Ai_Khanoum

Frank Holt's books and articles on the subject are recommended  ... https://uh.academia.edu/frankholt

Also refer ... https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=102790.0
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 05:08:01 am »
Thank you both very much!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity