Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crawford 429/2a subaeratus - die match?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
Crawford 429/2a subaeratus - die match?
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:35:47 am »
Hallo!

I haveve just acquired a lovely denarius subaeratus of P. Fonteius Capito (Cr. 429/2a).
Looking for comparably specimens I've found some possible die matches (with 'ordinary' denarii):
- obverse: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1193217
- reverse: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3020462 and https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3108830
What is your opinion?

Zenon M.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Crawford 429/2a subaeratus - die match?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:13:05 am »
The first two images are the same coin.  The last two normals share a reverse die but I see no link to the fourrees from the solids.

While some believe copy dies explain all links fourree to solid, let me warn that there are fourrees that have no core exposure and no obvious seams so you must be careful to rule out the possibility that your link might involve two plated pieces.

Offline seuk

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 04:53:37 pm »
They surely seems to be die matches wheter that be to the original dies or to transfer dies.

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »
Thank you very much for your opinions.
The two first images are of course the same coin (in the different light).
Well, we are working only with photographs. It's impossible to say if they were taken in exact the same conditions, but I have made a crude little experiment. I think it was worth a try.

In my opinion these are exactly the same angles, the distances between the columns and their arrangement (on the reverse).
Also the letters have mostly exactly the same form and tilt (obverse and reverse) and there are some identical details. I don't think it's just pure coincidence.

ZM

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 12:37:49 am »
Look OK to me.. +++

Interesting   ;) :)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 10:30:22 am »
With so many similarities and no undeniable differences, I'd be willing to say: apparent die match on both sides.

A minor variety that I noticed from the photos above: the lines on the roof of the second story can slant either to the right or to the left.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity