Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A weight question  (Read 1346 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
A weight question
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:30:10 am »
So i was looking at this weight the other day......

14.8 g, lead with reverse large inlay S

Why the Reverse S, did the inlayer? is that a word? get reversed and inscribe backwards?

But the weight of 14.8 does not easily breakdown in the usual common 6 weight units, Roman or Byzantine.

The only one is a semisextula which is considered 1/12 of a Unica and weighs around 2.28g, I do not have any references for this weight variation

That would make it 6 semisextula of 2.46g

Any thoughts would be entertained!

CW

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: A weight question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »
Possibly a Hellenistic half ounce - 1/32 of the Phoenician/Attic mina of 455 gm.
The S looks to have added, maybe to reuse it as a Roman half-ounce.

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:16:57 am »
Ross,

Yes that was in the back of my mind as a consideration, it is much more consistent with Hellenistic weights.

cw

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:38:28 am »

Hi wileyc
congratulations, your weight ist a late roman/early byzantine 1/2 argyrike ounce with little overweight.
Turn the weight 90 ° clockwise and you will see a sign which is wave-like (never the character S).
This sign stands for 1/2. ( see standard literature). Apart from the argyrike ounce please compare it with the
logarike ounce and the soyalia ounce. The argyrike ounce based on a weight standard of approx. 28,2 g dated
4th-6th ct. A.D.
For further information don't hesitate to contact me again

regards
Basil

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:07:22 pm »
Hmm,

Interesting weight..
Congratulation. +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:38:05 pm »
This a lead weight so I think it's more likely Hellenistic/early Roman, rather than Byzantine.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity