Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting but damaged Byzantine Lead Seal ID Help  (Read 2119 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Interesting but damaged Byzantine Lead Seal ID Help
« on: October 16, 2016, 08:21:31 am »
I acquired this interesting Byzantine seal with a small lot of Byzantine and Cilician Armenian AEs.  It is essentially halved.  Any idea of its identification would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Interesting but damaged Byzantine Lead Seal ID Help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:32:46 pm »
These halved seals are usually broken along the channel. Because there's only half of the inscription, they're very hard to id if you can't find a parallel 'whole' seal published... In any case, the obverse has an invocative inscription '...aid your servant'. I can't make sense of the image, but could it be a bust of Christ with a cross behind his head, instead of a round nimbus?

The reverse starts with the personal name Nikephoros, I think is a very safe guess. The next line - 'path' - must refer to one of the modest court dignities of imperial spatharios, or imperial protospatharios. Pi-Eta on the next line could well be completed 'EPH', which can refer a large number of offices starting 'epi ...' (for example epi tes sakelles or epi tes hetaireias). The last line has R (beta) or K with an abbreviation sign, followed by T.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:42:18 am »
Thank you for the very useful information in helping me identify this seal.  From what century would you believe that it is from?

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »
I would estimate somewhere in the 10th century. Can that be a bust of Christ with a cross behind his head?
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »
I will take a closer look when I get  home tonight and let you know  Pogh_poor

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:43:58 am »
I think that it is indeed a bust of Christ with a cross behind his head and holding the gospels.  Pogh_poor

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 06:32:59 am »
Here is the obverse of the seal with the correct position.  Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity