Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newbie! Help Number 3, Unknown Script  (Read 393 times)

Offline Ashley M

• Legionary
Newbie! Help Number 3, Unknown Script
« on: October 10, 2016, 12:12:51 pm »
This is the 3rd coin I spoke of in my first thread.

The 3rd... I can't even identify the language of the script. I thought possibly Indian. I truly have no idea. It weighs 2 grams, and scratch tested positive for silver.

Any help/incite is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Newbie! Help Number 3, Unknown Script
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 01:17:15 pm »
Not Indian.  It is either an Ottoman coin though it could be a late Mamluk coin.  Hopefully one of our experts in this area wades in though you could try searching "small silver ottoman coin".

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ashley M

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 02:08:49 pm »
Thank you! I've been searching and searching, and the closest I've found are some medieval Islamic dirham coins. I found a picture of a group of coins labeled as that, and this one appeared to be one that was included in the group, but there was nothing else to identify it further.... I think it's on the top right of this photo...

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:10:20 pm »

Offline Ashley M

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:39:01 pm »
Yes! That's it! Thank you so much!