Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Octavian RRC 537/2  (Read 1040 times)

Justin K

Octavian RRC 537/2
« on: October 06, 2016, 12:13:03 am »
I've stumbled upon what I take to be an "extremely rare" RRC 537/2 (see attachments). I'm a bit of a novice, any ideas about potential value (as a range)?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Octavian RRC 537/2
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 12:30:55 am »
Welcome to Forum.  As a rule we don't discuss values here.

Is the coin silver?  Size and weight? It's supposed to be a silver denarius.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1757481

Justin K

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 12:44:54 am »
Width: 22mm, Weight: 3.3g -- but it's bronze. Perhaps I've misidentified, but I can find no other examples of this type.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 02:22:19 am »
Width: 22mm, Weight: 3.3g -- but it's bronze. Perhaps I've misidentified, but I can find no other examples of this type.

It looks like a poor fake, sorry. 22mm is too wide, weight is low, and most importantly like Jay mentioned it's supposed to be a silver denarius.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:32:22 am »

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:28:48 am »
It doesn't look remotely authentic - it's a very different style than the example Pekka links to. Compare for example the legs and proportions of the tripod, the lettering, and the wreath (i.e. compare anything at all). And it's made of bronze. Perhaps the core of an ancient plated coin but to me it doesn't look like it was ever plated - such cores tend to have residues of silver. I suspect it's modern but that might mean 19th century, a period when relatively inaccurate fakes of great rarities were easy to trade because of the lack of photographic catalogues.

Can we move to the Fakes board please?

Justin K

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:44:02 am »
Case closed, thank you for the assistance. Lesson learned: Last time I will do my research *after* auction.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity