Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Questions as a newbie. :)  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
Questions as a newbie. :)
« on: September 26, 2016, 12:55:56 pm »
So I just got my first few coins and just got them identified on the ID forum! https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=108419.0  

But I have a few questions about the technical lingo. I've learned on my own some things like AE sizes and Rarity ratings.

But what I keep seeing lingo like this coming up: Mintmark SMKΓ. Cohen 8. RIC VII Cyzicus 132; Sear 16900.

What I understand is RIC is some sort of Identification catalog? But I don't know what the numerals mean VII and I am not sure what the context of knowing the RIC is or how you use it.

I know that Cyzikus is the mint, but I don't know what the 132 means.

I figured out mint marks, but still don't get what the Officina Numbers at the end mean/signify and what it can tell you.

What is Cohen 8?

What is sear 16900?

Oh and that would of a AE4 bronze coin like the one I have Delmatius AE follis, Cyzicus. 335-337 AD been worth in 337?  Would it bought a loaf of bread, a pair of shoes a, fancy dagger? :)

Thanks!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Questions as a newbie. :)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:08:12 pm »
I think  "RIC VII Cyzicus 132" means the 7th volume of Roman Imperial Coinage, the section on Cyzicus, coin number 132, though I don't use RIC myself since I collect Greek coins.

Officina is the workshop within the mint.  So one group used mark B and another used C, and so on and so forth.  It was a way to monitor output, etc.  

Sear is another catalog so "Sear 16900" refers to that a coin in his catalog with that number.  Likewise with Cohen.

Also, click on anything blue in the text of your or my post and it will bring you to a detailed description of the word.

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:03 pm »
OK, thanks are any of these books,  RIC, Cohen, Sear online to read? Or do you have to buy hard copies?

And how about Wildwinds.com is that its own catalog? Is it as good as these printed books?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:47:10 pm »
Cohen is online under http://www.virtualcohen.com/

RIC (Roman Imperial Coins) and Sear are not online.

Wildwinds is the nice work of our FORVM's member Helvetica. But it is by far not complete and sometimes the references are not correct, because they were added by the People who has delivered them.

Best regards

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:15:13 pm »
AH darn, virtual Cohen doesn't looks to be in english. :/

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:36:30 pm »
So it looks like the RIC is a defacto reference, but it also looks pretty out of date. Like 1923-1966 or something? Will these references ever be updated? Or are there more updated versions/references than these?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:50:57 pm »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:04:09 pm »
Those coins were not worth much.  Small pocket change really. 

According to surviving papyri we know that approximately 30 of those coins would get you a 1/2 litre of wine or oil, or a pound of meat or fish, circa 335 - 337 AD. 

It is hard to convert ancient prices to modern.  A literal conversion would seem to be 25 to 50 cents per coin depending on the quality of the goods, but we have to remember that meat was a luxury food in Roman times and wine was drunk mixed with water.  So a pound of meat was not a single middle class family dinner like today.  Likewise a 1/2 litre of wine was not an evening drink for one - it was probably converted into 3 to 5 litres of drink.  (Adding 6 to 10 times as much water seems to be average, though reports exist of anywhere from 3 to 20 times as much water.)  So even thinking of it as a dollar may not be too wide of the mark.

Other ancient costs were seemingly out of proportion.  Clothing was very expensive compared to food and drink, while accommodation - at least in terms of long term (annual) rent - was quite cheap.

Overall, you can see why you would not be too worried if you had dropped your Delmatius in the market and it rolled down a crack between the paving stones.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 04:19:16 am »
Many of these catalogs are not so much for reading but for looking up catalog numbers. I know most collectors are obsessed with catalog numbers but, especially for new collectors, they are pretty meaningless. If you know the emperor your coin was minted under and the mintmark, that's enough. No need to write down catalog numbers from catalogs you don't have and can't check yourself, even less useful to buy those catalogs. There is no single comprehensive catalog like for some other fields so you would end up spending hundreds of dollars, only to discover that you're more interested in another are of ancient numismatics.

It's more useful, if you want to buy books, to buy general works or history books. Of those general works, I think 'Ancient history from coins' is a great example. Easy to read, it offers a lot for the new and the experienced collector.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 07:58:25 am »
Look in the posts above and notice some of the text is blue. Blue text indicates a link. Click on the blue text links to learn more about the reference or term that is blue.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:23:04 pm »
Very interesting! Thanks for the info!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity