Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:47:28 pm »
Hello all,
I have this Nabataean coin that was attributed to Aretas IV.

I'm hoping to have a confirmation of that info and, as this is my first Nabataean coin, get a reference as there seem to be many similar. Also anyone know a more precise date than 9bc - 40ad?

Thanks!

Josh

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:57:36 pm »
So the reason for my above question is that there seem to be several reference numbers for coins that I can't see to feel the difference between. Wildwinds for example lists:

Meshorer 112
Meshorer 113
Meshorer 114

And... I'm guessing the same variations but in a different catalog:

SNGANS 1438
SNGANS 1440
SNGANS 1442

The descriptions don't let onto the differences between the types on the site and I don't have access to the references. A correct reference number would be nice but I'm more curious about how to distinguish them. Any info would be great! Thank you!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Nabataean coin - Aretas IV?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:24:59 am »
Dear Josh!

The difference between no. 112, 113 and 114 is the depiction on the obv.

I have attached the relevant part of the page in Meshorer's work.

I think no. 114 can be excluded because I can't see any V-shaped ornaments on the heads.
No. 112 has the inscription above the heads fully written-out in 3 letters.
No. 113 has the inscription above the heads as monogram #9 in 2 letters (Meshorer's monograms attached too!)
I tend to no. 112, but I'm not sure.

The date of 9/40 AD seems to be a typo. It is actually 39/40 AD.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity