Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Hyria Coin...Imitation?  (Read 545 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Interesting Hyria Coin...Imitation?
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:31:10 pm »
I'm researching Hyria and came across this auction record.  I'm having trouble accepting this coin as official because the style of the reverse seems unlike any other Hyria coin I've seen so far.  There are some weird ones from that region, to be sure, but the fact that the head is three-quarters facing makes it stand out among all but one other coin from Hyria that have the head in profile (the other has a Hera obverse, traditional MFB with Nymph/Nike above reverse, so isn't comparable really).

Maybe an imitation?But the obverse looks official.

Auction House Description:

Circa 405-400 BC. AR Nomos (6.86 gm). Head of Athena left, wearing Attic helmet decorated with owl / YDINA, man-headed bull walking left. Cf. Rutter 114 (dies not listed); SNG ANS 263; Basel 36 = SNG Lockett 68 (this coin).

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Interesting Hyria Coin...Imitation?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:02:33 am »
I think it is probably an ancient imitation.  The obverse style is good, but it seems a little more florid than usual.  I am working on a very different series of imitations and have noted that on imitation series in general the obverses are often much better than the reverses.

Mac

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Interesting Hyria Coin...Imitation?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:01:05 pm »
Hi Nick,

I agree. The style is way off, especially on the reverse. Even the obverse doesn't look right.

djm is probably right. I also think that it is probably an ancient imitation.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity