Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible Late Greek coin identification help  (Read 280 times)

Kyle V2

Possible Late Greek coin identification help
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »
Hi, I was very much hoping someone here could help me with identifying this coin.
My mother got it many years ago so a gift from an antiques dealer but I haven't had much luck finding where and when it came from.
It has a Zeus reverse but a simpler one then I've seen before plus a second face stamping that I also can't identify.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
Re: Possible Late Greek coin identification help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 09:07:33 pm »
This is not Zeus , it is Poseidon seated  ( now the  head left  is Zeus  ) , and Tyche  on the other side  ( countermark: Sol ) .

The type comes as AR ( Silver ) Stater , from  Sinope, Paphlagonia. BC 300-200  ( Ref; SNG Cop 299 , I think )

No comment about the authenticity , until you post better photos of coin out and edges , with coin weight.

* There is one listed at Wildwinds.

**Since you are not in the hobby , I think FORVM will pass you on the  “ Why you doubt
the authenticity “

Just remember , coin has to be yours .
You can not screen a purchase.
Please , do not get offended , I am just telling you the rules so you have an idea Those  rules are  for everyone including me.

I hope we have you here as everyday member.
Welcome to FORVM.
Sam Mansourati

All coins are guaranteed for eternity