Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II RIC VIII (275/213/117)?  (Read 387 times)

Offline Wayne T

• Legionary
Constantius II RIC VIII (275/213/117)?
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:04 am »
I have this, hopefully, correct as Constantius II, AE4, 15-16mm, DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG, SPES REI-PVBLICE.  Unfortunately, I can not identify the mint mark.

There may be a hint of a gamma in the left field very close to the legend, but like the mint mark, it is not very sharp. Deteriorated reverse die possibly with the start of a die crack?

In my amateur opinion, the obverse design leans toward Arles rather than Thessalonica or Cyzicus.  That based on comparisons of examples attributed to those mints.  You, the expert, however, can guide me down the proper path if I'm amiss in that opinion. 

Any and all feedback welcome. 

Thank you.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Constantius II RIC VIII (275/213/117)?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 11:32:58 pm »
Hi Wayne,

These are the really frustrating ones to me. They are sooo close to an attribution but sometimes you just can't be certain.

You haven't had any responses yet because the photos aren't quite sharp enough to to be able to add anything you haven't already figured out. If you can add higher resolution photos with lighting from a bit of an angle, we may be able to add some insight. Especially get the mint mark in focus and we may have something!

Josh

Offline Wayne T

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 10:54:29 pm »
Jschulze. Yes it is challenging at times with attributions like this one.  Having a good idea is not the same as knowing absolutely. 

I have posted these two photos to focus on the left field.  I believe that the mint mark is not readable.  I'm confident that there is enough original material to suggest that there is a Gamma in the left field rather than my first impression of a deteriorated/pitted die.  It is rather deceptive depending on lighting, amount of magnification, angle it's being held, and so on.   

Thank you for feedback.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:22:54 pm »
Hmm... yeah I'm not seeing anything decernable in the mint mark either. However, if your confident that there is a gamma in the left field, it can only be RIC VIII Cyzicus 119.

The following mint marks are listed:

SMKA
SMKB
SMK gamma
SMK delta
SMK epsilon
SMKS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity