Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Request for translation help-Taoist hanging charm  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
Request for translation help-Taoist hanging charm
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:07:24 am »
This is a brass hanging charm 78mm. long.   I expected to be able to classify it with some research but so far no luck in either identifying the obverse figure or in the translation.  Other than a few words; I see it starts with "3" and ends with 'ru lu ling', I can not discover a similar inscription.  The figure on the obverse appears to be a bearded figure with a banner and spear seated upon a beast (perhaps a qilin with scales and bushy tale) with a scorpion below.   I find similar Daoist hanging charms but nothing with this figure.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.
   Addendum: After posting this I received a reply from the seller:
Hello, this is China's ancient Taoist incantations, mean, god help me, quick exorcism! 三月谷雨中(In the march),狮子下天宫(God beast lion came down from heaven)不食人间食(Don't eat the food of human),且吃无毒精(Specifically eat for malicious demon),太上老君急急如律令(Too old gods make haste to help me, please move fast as imperative.
    Well, I had the 'as fast as lu ling' part  and I guess 'san' referred to the third month (moon).   So it is summoning some sort of demon eating lion/beast.  I would still appreciate knowing who the God in question is and ,perhaps, a smoother translation.   Thanks,

All coins are guaranteed for eternity