Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins that have/had active corrosion  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
Coins that have/had active corrosion
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:32 am »
Hello, I had a question about the storage of coins with active corrosion that were : not treated, treated, and treated with a wax applied

Can storing a coin with this powdery green corrosion begin to affect other coins stored in the same tray?  How about if treated and then waxed.

Do most people separate these types?  I have used a sodium carbonate/sodium bi-carbonate solution to ride the Cl as my treatments - then Ren. waxed.  Some rougher uncleaned coins were never treated.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline traveler

• Consul
Re: Coins that have/had active corrosion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:20:09 am »
"Powdery green corrosion" sounds like Bronze disease. Yes bronze disease does spread to other bronze coins, best not to store them together. It should not spread to other bronze coins unless there's direct contact, but still best not to take chances.

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 12:17:26 pm »
To double-check:

storing a treated and waxed coin that once had green powdery active corrosion (limes) with other coins is or is not reccommended?

Appreciated,
Matt

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:30:14 pm »
I'd quarantine for a bit to see if it resurfaces and then check on it periodically thereafter.

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:39:04 pm »
Thanks.  What is the best indication that it was treated properly?  I can assume slight color, but other than this I'm unsure.

Matt

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 07:46:52 pm »
The best indication is that it doesn't return.  There's no sure-fire test so you'll just have to monitor.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 09:41:03 pm »
Bronze disease can reoccur if the treatment wasn't thorough enough, and can even be worsened in a waxed coin. That's because the wax can trap moisture in the coin.

As Molinari mentioned maybe the best way is to quarantine the coin and monitor that the bronze disease doesn't reappear.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity