Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ?Geta/cult statue of Artemis?  (Read 844 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
?Geta/cult statue of Artemis?
« on: August 24, 2016, 02:46:12 pm »
AE 16.5 mm, 3.88 g

This has the appearance of Geta with an Artemis Ephesus statue reverse.  There are a few cities with similar types, but this one doesn't match very well, with what little I can see of the legend or distribution of letters, or with the angle of the reverse figure's arms.  Thanks much for any help with ID and attribution.

Laney

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: ?Geta/cult statue of Artemis?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:41:17 am »
Hi laney,

Have you considered the possibility that the reverse may depict a female figure (or cult statue) holding 2 torches?

I found similar coins minted in Lydia, Maeonia. But there is no "smoking gun". For comparison purposes, if you look at Wildwinds, there is a coin minted by Nero (RPC 3013) that has a reverse that looks somewhat like yours.

Aspendos and Crete/Cyprus also minted coins depicting a cult statue (or 2) on the reverse.

Meepzorp

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 04:49:02 pm »
Hi Meepzorp.  The reverse is indeed more like that of my coin than others that I've seen.  In fact, the portrait bears similarity to some other Lydia coins of Nero.  I had not looked at Maeonia, and got fixated on Geta because of similar reverses with Artemis.  I think your suggestion is quite sound. 
Thank you.

Laney

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:25:50 am »
A female figure holding two torches would be Demeter/Ceres.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 07:45:45 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:23:32 am »
I didn't know that Hekate is also depicted carrying two torches...

Hekate (Hecate) was a goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts and necromancy...Hekate assisted Demeter in her search for Persephone, guiding her through the night with flaming torches. After the mother-daughter reunion became she Persephone's minister and companion in Haides.

-- http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 08:52:52 am »
To All--

Thank you for this great information.  I believe that it is RPC 3041, having found another example that better shows similarities in legend to my coin--and that allows the ski poles to be better identified as torches.  So Nero/Hekate, Philadelphia mint is what I'll go with.  Thanks again.

Laney

All coins are guaranteed for eternity