Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Republic sextans star series overstrike?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Republic sextans star series overstrike?
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:35:48 pm »
I paid rather a lot for this sextans, believing it is of the (second) star series (Crawford 196/5) which is extremely rare. It is also an overstrike on a different coin which I can not yet identify.
Now I have doubts as to the star is really a star or a remnant of the underlying coin.
Any assistance welcome!

Frans

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Republic sextans star series overstrike?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 04:43:20 pm »
I see a wolf head on the right side of the prow.  Is there a wolf and twins type it might be over struck on?

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:47:49 pm »
My first thought based solely on style is that it is one of the Sardinian issues, Crawford 63-65 if I remember correctly. These are almost always overstrikes and have either a C, MA or AVR to the right of the prow. I do not think it is possible that this is related to the Crawford 196 series as the style is not consistent with that period.

Edit: one other thing you might look at is the paper on RR star bronzes by Andrew McCabe and Richard Schaefer with an example of a second star series sextans in which the style is quite different and the star is above the prow: https://www.academia.edu/1474759/A_Fresh_Look_at_Roman_Republican_Star_Bronzes_RRC_113_and_196_Richard_Schaefer_and_Andrew_McCabe
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:48:21 am »
Jordan,
thank you for putting me on the right track; I agree that the style is about the same  and that the symbol might have been MA or rather AVR (both in ligature). The weight of the coin is 4.12 grams and the diameter 21 mms.
The more I look at it, the more features of the mother coin are visible, but I still can't make head nor tails of them.

Frans

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:44:01 pm »
Unfortunately I cannot tell what the ligature is nor can I discern the undertype, but I can tell you that many of these types that I have seen with identifiable undertypes are struck on Sardo-Punic Tanit/bull bronzes, Sicilian trident bronzes. Sometimes I have had success by gathering a handful of different "candidate" coin images alongside the overstruck coin image and rotating it and hoping some details jump out. At any rate, good luck!
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:10:38 am »
'I thought I saw a pussycat' = I think I see a horse! Seems pretty obvious once you see it.
Thanks to Jordan for putting me on another track!

Frans

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:32:12 am »
Interesting and the avers are also look overstriked..

Q?
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 07:45:55 am »
The type on Sardinia will be a left facing head of Tanit on the obverse, but little of that is visible.

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity