Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constans - Hut - RIC VIII Cyzicus 82 var (unlisted officina)  (Read 1605 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Constans - Hut - RIC VIII Cyzicus 82 var (unlisted officina)
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:07:03 am »
On pages 495-496 RIC VIII splits the hut coins for Constans at Cyzicus into two FH(a) (FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO) and FH(b) (FEL TEMP REP-ARATIO). These legend breaks don't always elicit a new RIC entry but in this case they do. With  :dot:SMKX the constans coins are RIC VIII Cyzicus 81 and 82 with RIC 81 known for Officina  :Greek_Delta:,  :Greek_epsilon: and S alll being rated common and RIC 82 known for officina  :Greek_Delta: and  :Greek_epsilon: both being rated as Scarce. I have acquired an example from officina S which is unlisted in RIC and I have been unable to locate another and thought it worthy of sharing here for those who make a note of such things.

Constans AE2
Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Laureate and rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand
Rev:- FEL TEMP REP-ARATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs
Minted in Cyzicus; (//dot SMKS), A.D. 348-350
Reference:– RIC VIII Cyzicus 82 var (unlisted in RIC for this workshop)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Constans - Hut - RIC VIII Cyzicus 82 var (unlisted officina)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:31:18 pm »
Nice coin Maridvnvm! I like the detail on the globe in-hand. I've always enjoyed collecting these Hut coins and have been picking up new mint cities when I run across them (probably have 6-7 mints representated. Someday I'll have one from each city).

2 questions for you:

Do you know anything about the quartered and dotted globe designs? What is represented by the design?

Edit: We see the same globe designs on the Phoenix coins, the Beata coins and others.

Also what's the most difficult mint city to find for these?

Again, nice coin!

Josh

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:52 pm »
While not a RIC 81 or 82 but a 73, below is a bad cell phone photo of my somewhat similar Constans Hut from Cyzicus.  ;D

(FEL TEMP REP-ARATIO)

The difference between the trees is always interesting and my little dude seems to be saying "thanks but no thanks." I like the look on your little guys face.

RIC VII 73
SMKB

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:14 am »
2 questions for you:

Do you know anything about the quartered and dotted globe designs? What is represented by the design?

Also what's the most difficult mint city to find for these?

Josh,
I have seen much discussion on the topic of these globes over the years. The globe on these coins is often quartered and dotted but sometimes plain. The thinking is that the emperor is showing that he is holding the whole world in the palm of his hand or even the entire universe. The cross and the markings on the globe resemble the way the Greeks used to illustrate the celestial sphere.

All the cities are obtainable with a little patience. I am still missing a few such as Antioch, Heraclea, Siscia and Trier. I am buying examples that catch my eye rather than trying a completion target though one from each mint would be a nice next step.

Here is a selection of coins that I have obtained so far. My slow search continues.

Alexandria
Constans
Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
Minted in Alexandria, officina 3; (/ALEG), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Alexandria 60; LRBC 2820

Aquileia
Constans
Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points upwards to the right.
Minted in Aquileia, officina 1; (/AQP Dot),
Reference:– RIC VIII Aquileia 103

Arles
Constans
Obv:- D N CONSTANS P F AVG, Rosette diademed, draped & cuirassed bust left holding globe
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points up and to the right
Minted in Arles; (//SARL)
Reference:– RIC VIII Arles 106 (R2)

Constantinople
Constans
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
Minted in Constantinople; (//CONSI*), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Constantinople 88; LRBC 2014

Cyzicus
Constans
Minted in Cyzicus; (//*SMKD), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Cyzicus 77

Lugdunum
Constans
Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPAR-ATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points up and to the right
Minted in Lugdunum, (// *PLG), A.D. 348-350
Reference:– RIC VIII Lugdunum 87 (R)

Ex collection of Count Gaston de Lambertye formed in the 18th century

Nicomedia
Constans
Minted in Nicomedia, officina B; (//SMNB), A.D. 348-351 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Nicomedia 70

Rome
Constans
Obv:- D N CONSTANS P F AVG, Rosette diademed, draped & cuirassed bust left holding globe, N behind bust
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points up and to the right
Minted in Rome; (_ N //RE)
Reference:– RIC VIII Rome 159

Thessalonica
Constans
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPAR-ATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
Minted in Thessalonica; (//TESB), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
Reference:– RIC VIII Thessalonica 118; LRBC 1636

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:32 am »
Though the Romans knew that the world was spherical, these globes are certainly celestial globes - signifying the entire universe.  The dots are stars or heavenly bodies.  This can be seen more clearly on some statues where larger globes are covered in stars.

Thanks for posting your coin Maridunum, it completes an expected set.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:09 am »
Nice set Martin.. +++

Congratulation ..

I also try to started and present a the same set like you..
..but you did it.. +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 02:02:01 am »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this coin adds to the earlier discussion started by maridvnvm.

This coin below seems to be unlisted as well for the "dot" series of hut coins for Constans from Cyzicus which are RIC 81 and 82.

This coin, a RIC 81 variation due to the reverse legend break, has dot SMKB in the ex. from the unlisted workshop "B" for this series.

Anyone else know of one of these? After a pretty good search, I've been unable to find another.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity