Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Probus Tetradrachm  (Read 610 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Probus Tetradrachm
« on: August 21, 2016, 08:14:57 pm »
Hi all,
I have this Probus Tetradrachm. I had no doubts about authenticity until I examined it more closely and found something suspicious. Even with this feature, I feel it's probably authentic but wanted to get opinions as I've never seen this before.

On the edge in the below photos you can see a... Plug or post of a different color bronze that has been soddered into the hole and then later filed down. I was thinking at one time maybe this coin was in some sort of mount or jewelry?

Anyway, everything else feels fine about the coin and it fits with my other Probus Tetradrachms as far as size, weight, edge and feel. What do you think? Is this just the remains of use as jewelry or something more suspicious that may mean it is fake? Thank you for your opinions!

Edit: this is the only filed plug. 180 from this plug is a normal edge.

Josh

19mm 6.4 gr

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Probus Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:19:19 am »
Your coin has been mounted at some time, but it does look perfectly genuine.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:21:15 am »
Agreed.  These used to be so cheap that they were often used as watch fobs. This was, of course years and years ago.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 11:00:14 pm »
Thank you Pscipio and djmacdo! I appreciate your opinions.

A follow up question outside of authenticity if I may. I do not have Milne's text on Alexandrian coins. I have seen similar coins attributed as 4545, 4546 and 4547. I am unsure of the difference... which would my coin fall under?

Thank you again!

Josh

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:42:05 am »

A1 obverse legend, so Milne 4545.
(4546 and 4547 are A2)

Pekka K