Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mystery Macedonian AE  (Read 410 times)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Mystery Macedonian AE
« on: August 20, 2016, 01:18:55 pm »
I have puzzled over this coin, on and off, mostly off, for about 40 years. Research in BMC, Price, AMNG and other printed sources available to me, as well as online sources has produced no results. There is a reference "Liampi" that apparently lists these types, but I do not have it. The obverse seems similar to BMC Macedon, p. 9, #17. I sent an image to Peter Lampinen 20 or so years ago and he could not find a reference. It seems the key factor here is the helmet LEFT...if I make it out correctly. Any help pinning it down would be most appreciated!

Alexander III, Macedon? Æ (17mm, 5.45 gm). Obv: Shield with swirl or wheel pattern? Rev: ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΩΝ? split to right and left, Macedonian helmet with cheek flaps LEFT, unknown object, letter or monogram on lower left. Price__; Liampi? Other?

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Mystery Macedonian AE
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 01:55:51 pm »

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Mystery Macedonian AE