Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pisidia Amblada/Caracalla/Dionysos  (Read 1215 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Pisidia Amblada/Caracalla/Dionysos
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:54:29 pm »
2016.232.1 Pisidia, Amblada; Caracalla

AE22; 5.36 g; 6h

Obverse: M AV ANTW-NEINOC; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Viewed from behind.
Reverse: AMBLADEW-N LAKEDAI (Note: Ws are upside down in both obverse and reverse inscriptions.) Dionysos standing left, holding thrysos in left and kantheros in right; panther at feet left, right paw raised, looking back to right; Pan behind holding syrinx.
Ref: cf. SNG Pfalzer 5,6 (Same obverse die); cf von Aulock Pisidiens Vol I; pg 60, 134 (same obverse die);
Notes: Pisidia, Amblada is a rare city and this is a rare coin - 2 known examples of the von Aulock dies, 1 for the SNG Pfalzer die and 1 for my reverse die.

c.rhodes
PS updated the notes and references.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Pisidia Amblada/Caracalla/Dionysos
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 07:52:24 pm »
Hoops,

Nice coin .... +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Online Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:01:53 pm »
Wow! I don't think I have ever had an Amblada of any kind!
Great catch!
PeteB

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:19 am »
Congratulations on acquiring such a rare coin gordian_guy. How does it compare in grade against the few existing examples? Being such a rarity, I  would not be supersized if yours was one of the better ones.

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:16:45 pm »

Thanks Pete and Steve.

I had to revise my notes. For some reason I my dies being the same as the Pfalzer dies, but in each case it is only the Obverse dies that match. So, it appears that von Aulock #'s 134 and 135 are die-pair matches, obverse and reverse, whereas for the Pfalzer example only the obverse die matches von Aulock but the reverse is different. For my example, only the obverse die matches the Pfalzer and von Aulock coins but my reverse die is different from both. Currently there appears to be 3 different reverse dies.

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity