Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with small thin coin  (Read 742 times)

Offline novacystis

• Consul
Help with small thin coin
« on: August 14, 2016, 07:43:53 pm »
Hi all-

This was in with a lot of Latin/Palaeologan trachy.  I have no idea what this is but it looks very distinctive.  Any help greatly appreciated.  18mm, 0.72g

Thanks

Colin

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Help with small thin coin
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:58:59 pm »
Looks like it is Crusader.  I think the image on the left is upside down.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:46:16 am »
here it is partly positioned correctly

the obverse on the left is still upside down, you can see the cross which should be at 0 not 180.

looks like a billion denier tournois from Frankish Greece, the dates runs generally from 1245 to 1325

Obverse on left: Cross Pattee
Reverse on right: Castle tournois, spire in form of A (no cross bar)

pretty blundered and hard to make out the letters to determine more specifics.

cordially

cw

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 05:52:05 pm »
I think Greece , Epirus . John II Orsini . This crude coinage was struck at the Castle of Arta by John II Orsini circa 1325 during the time Epirus was invaded by John of Gravina.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity