Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous Republican Semisses identification help  (Read 2837 times)

kourosz

Anonymous Republican Semisses identification help
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:24:25 am »
Hello,

I would like to ask for some identification help regarding two anonymous Republican semisses. I tried in RRC, but didn't find it reliable in regard to the anonymous coins. I also tried using A. McCabe's great work, but I am still in doubt.

1. 1. 17,73g, 27mm wide, 5 mm thick, small thick flan, convex reverse - RRC 56/3; group D1 (?)

2. 19,74g, 30mm wide, 0,4mm thick, large flan - (couldn't arrange it to any group, due to the wear)

I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Anonymous Republican Semisses identification help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 01:48:53 pm »
Hello,

I would like to ask for some identification help regarding two anonymous Republican semisses. I tried in RRC, but didn't find it reliable in regard to the anonymous coins. I also tried using A. McCabe's great work, but I am still in doubt.

1. 1. 17,73g, 27mm wide, 5 mm thick, small thick flan, convex reverse - RRC 56/3; group D1 (?)

2. 19,74g, 30mm wide, 0,4mm thick, large flan - (couldn't arrange it to any group, due to the wear)

I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you

For the first coin, D1 is almost certainly correct - that's the series associated with Crawford 50 anchor. But it's also looking closely to see whether there is actually an anchor before the prow in which case the coin would be Crawford 50/4, rather than the anonymous variety thereof (group D in my study).

I suspect the second coin is an as rather than a semis, and may have a symbol above the prow. In style it probably dates from the 170s bc (assuming it is a very worn as rather than a very large semis).

kourosz

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »
Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much for the very helpful reply. You are right, the 2nd one is really an as, but i cannot see any sign of the anchor on the 1st.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »
One coin per thread please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS