Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus - AE 17 - Nikopolis ad Istrum ????  (Read 624 times)

Offline Daniel T2

• Legionary
Septimius Severus - AE 17 - Nikopolis ad Istrum ????
« on: August 05, 2016, 08:02:58 pm »
Hello everyone:

I got this money and need your help if possible.

I searched on my own, and I think it is:

Septimius Severus AE17 of Nikopolis adI strum, Moesia. Laureate head right, Dionysos naked, standing left, holding bunch of grapes and thyrsos.

The letters can not quite for identify, but are similar to those found in Nikopolis ad Istrum.

It could be Septimius Severus?

From already thank you very much.

Greetings.  :)

Daniel.

Offline Daniel T2

• Legionary
Re: Septimius Severus - AE 17 - Nikopolis ad Istrum ????
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:05:37 pm »
Just to apologize for my poor English.
I am studying both. Language and currencies.
I forget, if necessary. The currency is Bronze.

Many thanks. :)

Regards.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 04:08:50 am »
Hi Daniel!

You have done a good and comprehensive work, only the weight is missing. The style is typically Thracian. It shows Septimius Severus with his curly hair and Dionysos with thyrsos and kantharos. Sadly the legends are only partially readable. The most important part is OLITW[N] on the right side of Dionysos, and this is a give-away!

This legend - completed to NIKOP - OLITWN - is not known for Nikopolis, at least it is not listed in Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2015), the most comprehensive catalogue of the coinage of Nikopolis. That doesn't mean that it is impossible, but the chance is very small. Other options are Hadrianopolis and Philippopolis. But there the legend break is - POLITWN resp. - POLEITWN

But I have found your coin in Markianopolis and the depicted coin matches your coin very well:

Moesia inferior, Markianopolis, Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
AE 17
obv. AV K L CEP - CEVHROC (I can read the CEP!)
         Laureate head r.
 rev. MARKIANOP - OLITWN
          Dionysos, nude, stg. l., resting with l. hand on thyrsos and holding kantharos in lowered    
          r. hand
ref. a) not in AMNG
        b) not in Varbanov (engl.)
        c) Hristova/Jekov (2014) 6.14.8.5 (R10 = very rare, known only from 1 ex.!)
        d) not in Pfeiffer (2013)

Best regards
Jochen

Offline Daniel T2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 10:44:49 am »
¡¡Bravo Jochen !!

Many thanks.

I was watching the OBV. and only now I can make out, with the coin in hand, the CEP your has read and the C of CEVHROC. I had no noticed before you indicate.

Here I leave one to compare.

By Markianopolis still I am investigating.

You have given me great joy. I was desperate to get something, and you've cataloged,

Honestly, I am very grateful.

A hug.  +++ :)

(And again sorry for my poor use of language.)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity