Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Request for help with 'Tang Dynasty' coin identification-Subsequently Solved.  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
     I obtained this coin (?) along with other unidentified amulets and coins.  It is an AE 32 and about 13.8 g.  Obverse is bao da yuan bao with tian on the reverse.  I was unsuccessful finding anything on Zeno but ran across an example on another site, that sells what appear to be replicas, and it was simply identified as 'Tang Dynasty'.  I am wondering whether this is a copy of a coin or a fantasy piece.  Thanks for any help:
      Update:  Found!   After a few more days of searching I finally found another example. Zeno#6860.  It is, in fact, a Southern Tang dynasty issue of Li Jing around 955AD.  Apparently was an attempt at a fiduciary 10 cash coin at 40% full weight that was not successful and withdrawn.  This is a much clearer, less 'aged' example.  The example on line has been so cooked the 'Tian' on the reverse is not visible.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Iron coins of this type are already very rare (hartill rarity 3). Bronze coins are extremely rare. I think you shouldn't expect to find a genuine one. Also the mentioned Zeno#6860  example is marked as fake.
IMHO the patina of this coin looks fake too.

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
Yes, I am sure it is a replica.  I was trying to discover exactly what it was a copy of or whether it was a complete fantasy.  So far most the things I have been picking up appear to be replicas of very very rare or unique issues.  What seems curious is that, in some cases, there is debate as to whether the super rare unique original is, in fact, authentic.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity