Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constans Galley ot Day  (Read 783 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Constans Galley ot Day
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:21:36 am »
I don't generally focus on later roman bronze though I have been known to dabble. Sometimes when browsing something really catches your eye. This coin did exactly that. It is a Galley type - FEL TEMP REPARATIO of Constans but is a largely silvered example and is also nice and sharp.

Constans - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTANS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
Rev:- FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, emperor in military dress standing left on galley, holding Phoenix and labarum, Victory sitting at the stern, steering the ship
Minted in Aquileia; (//AQP dot), A.D. 348-350
Reference:– RIC VIII Aquileia 99 (C)

I am also attaching a detailed section of the reverse. When expanded (please click on the image) you can see the detail of the engraver's tool marks on the hand of the emperor holding the labarum. You can also see horizontal striations on the flat areas. My hypothesis, originally postulated about a denarius of Septimius Severus is that these are remnants of the die preparation. After the incuse areas have been engraved in the die there would be small burrs on the die. The application of a file across the die would remove these burrs before the die was used. These would disappear from the die due to natural die wear during the striking process. This may well be a well know thing but isn't something that I have seen written anywhere.

Regards,
Martin

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Constans Galley ot Day
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:52:19 am »
Very nice.  I like the feathers and eye on the phoenix.  Interesting how thin Victory's rudder is.  The engraver must have been working on that part at quitting time :)

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Constans Galley ot Day
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:38:14 pm »
A really nice example Martin. You do not often see them preserved with so much of the original silvering still intact. The silvering on your coin in particular produces a ghostly aesthetic for me that gives it terrific eye appeal.

Best regards,
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity