Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help. Ambrosial Rocks of Tyre. Unknown Emperor  (Read 678 times)

Offline Nathan L

• Consul
  • Classical Texan
ID Help. Ambrosial Rocks of Tyre. Unknown Emperor
« on: July 21, 2016, 08:56:26 pm »
Please help me on this coin.  I know it is the  Ambrosial Rocks of Tyre type, but all of the oberse I can make out is ...RIANVS...  Whoever originally cleaned it, scratched it severely. :(

Thanks
26mm  &  17.9g   It is nearly 4mm thick!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: ID Help. Ambrosial Rocks of Tyre. Unknown Emperor
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:50:39 pm »
Can that ending fit anyone else but Valerian?

Cohen 366:

IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG, bust radiate, draped r. on Cohen's example. Yours apparently laureate rather than radiate.

COL TYRO MET, palm tree between the two Ambrosial Rocks; below, dog and murex shell.
Curtis Clay

Offline Nathan L

• Consul
  • Classical Texan
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:08:22 pm »
That appears to fit.  However, this coin is nearly twice the weight of almost all examples that I can find online.  It is nearly 18 grams.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
Hi folks,

I have a coin with a similar/related theme on the reverse (scroll down, last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_phoen_tyre_pt02.htm

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity