Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Request for Chinese amulet translation help  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
Request for Chinese amulet translation help
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:33:59 am »
This was bought as a 'Good Luck' amulet.  It is a large AE42 and 28g.  Four character obverse and reverse in a Lotus border.  The seller said the legends translated as "National Prosperity, Family Harmony and Happiness".    I can recognize a few of the characters (san, hu) but would appreciate a more literal translation.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Request for Chinese amulet translation help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »
三星在戶 五世其昌, sān xīng zài hù wǔ shì qí chāng

the 世 (shì) is written in a strange manner, quite unrecognizable, but this legend is common and  it has to be shì.

It is a kind of poem or greeting, something for the wedding: happy family and good luck,  but I can´t translate it properly

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
Re: Request for Chinese amulet translation help
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:32:37 am »
A belated Thank You for the literal translation-I will keep working on it and looking for other examples. Thanks,

All coins are guaranteed for eternity