Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice needed on cleaning silver coins  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Paul J

• Praetorian
Advice needed on cleaning silver coins
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:00:56 pm »
Hi there,

I recently won 5 denarii at auction and the previous owner of the coins was a heavy smoker. Unfortunately a smokey environment seems to have had an effect on these coins (giving them a dull look and a smokey odour). I was wondering whether there is a safe way to clean them...i've read a few ideas in various places (e.g. distilled water to remove the odour). Photo attached

Thanks in advance

Paul

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Advice needed on cleaning silver coins
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:44 pm »
If they where mine, I would not touch them!!!
To me, they are beautifully toned.
PeteB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:44:37 pm »
The appearance of the coins is not from smoke. Wash them in soap and water ONLY to remove the smoke smell.  Do NOT attempt to turn them back into bright silver.  That will greatly reduce the value.  Ancient coin collectors generally prefer toned (tarnished) coins.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Paul J

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »
Thank you both, I'll leave them be  +++

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:20 pm »
Wow, those are gorgeously toned. Very nice coins.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 05:38:54 am »
The appearance of the coins is not from smoke. Wash them in soap and water ONLY to remove the smoke smell.  Do NOT attempt to turn them back into bright silver.  That will greatly reduce the value.  Ancient coin collectors generally prefer toned (tarnished) coins.

Just to clarify, Joe is talking about using soap, water and your fingers only to lightly wash them. No cloths, brushes or other utensils, just lightly rubbing them with your fingers.
Andreas Reich

Offline Paul J

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 08:32:32 am »
I have added the coin to Tantalus and i'll post the link here later (if i'm allowed?); at the moment the site seems to be down

Thanks for all the suggestions

Offline Paul J

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »
Hello,

Here is a link to my Otho coin on Tantalus in case you want to see the reverse

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/113111.php

I'll be adding the other 4 very soon

Thanks

Paul

Offline Paul J

• Praetorian

Offline Paul J

• Praetorian

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 08:31:16 pm »
I have added the coin to Tantalus and i'll post the link here later (if i'm allowed?); at the moment the site seems to be down

Thanks for all the suggestions

We would like to see you post them in the Members' Gallery.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 09:27:08 am »
You list "Pescennius Niger (Caesar)".  It would be more appropriate to list him as Augustus.  We may disagree on how to consider losing contestants in the civil wars but his coins bear AVG and that was the title he claimed from the very beginning.  Caesar is used for those like Clodius Albinus who accepted a lower rank with the hope of someday being promoted. 

I might be tempted to wash (water or possibly acetone) the coins if they are sticky to the touch but would not touch them otherwise.  It would be very easy to turn a thousand dollar coin into a $500 one with very little effort.   Smoke and air pollution are much more hazardous to collectors than to coins. 

Offline Chris L

• Legionary
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 08:29:14 pm »
I definitely agree that these coins do not need to be cleaned at all. They are all beautifully toned and should just retain their originality. However, for future reference, I have found that porcupine quills work wonders for removing dirt and pvc from the details of coins. Where other instruments may scratch your coins now matter how careful you are, quills don't seem to. I have noticed certain waxy substances when removed will scratch a coin unless you are SUPER careful, but with waxy material I usually just use a dry q-tip to lightly remove it since it usually has already weakened the top layer of metal anyway. Dry q-tips are wonderful for pvc as well especially on silver. So just something to think about and consider if you come across dirt encrusted or pvc saturated coins. 

Offline Paul J

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 09:04:41 am »
Many thanks for the tips. I have happily realised that these coins are lovely as they are and have left them be.

Doug; thanks for pointing this out, I am not sure why I listed him as 'Caesar' and not 'Augustus' - I thin kthis may have just been an error as it was very late when I input the details! I've now changed this.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity