Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carnelian Intaglio Venus?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Carnelian Intaglio Venus?
« on: July 05, 2016, 02:17:52 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a somewhat crudely engraved and very worn carnelian intaglio with a female figure to left.  At first I thought she might be Nemesis but there appears to be an arm down to her side, so Venus came to mind.  I am not sure then what the lines behind her might be.  She is holding a globe(?) formed of three horizontal lines.  There are two very slight depressions above the object in her hand, but I think they are natural variations in the stone.  The most similar type I have found in my very limited resources is a depiction of Venus, from behind, partially draped, cf. Anit Hamburger, "Gems from Caesarea Maritima",  Atiqot English Series, Vol. VIII, 1968, #45.  I suppose Nike could also be possible if those are "wings" behind her.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

BCC g18
Roman Gem Stone
Intaglio  1st-4th cent.CE
Caesarea Maritima
Female figure standing left,
holding globe? and ?.
Translucent Red Carnelian
10.5x7.8x2.5mm.  0.29gm.

Click on photo for higher resolution

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Carnelian Intaglio Venus?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:51:43 am »
I agree that this is probably a Venus Victrix type. although those 'wings' are peculiar. Could this even be damage? The usual iconography for Venus Vicrix is the goddess of love depicted with weapons: she is holding a helmet in her outstretched hand, there's a spear, usually transverse, and there's a shield in front of her. Her garments have fallen down below her waist, but she is "modestly" turned away from the viewer, and she is resting her elbow on a column. There are a few variants, like the one you quote with a palm branch in stead of a spear. This carnelian might be another variant because I don't see a sign of the spear.
Regards
Gert

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Carnelian Intaglio Venus?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:42:46 pm »
Hi, Gert.  A friend just sent me an impression of a very similar gem, also from Caesarea, that he believes is possibly Demeter.  Demeter often accompanies Tyche in representations of the Caesarean Triad.  The lines ("wings"?) on my Gem are definitely intentional, as I can see the marks of the cutting wheels.  What is also interesting is the amount of wear on the front of the red gem as compared to the back and sides.  Perhaps it was still in a setting while it was washing around in the waves?  Thanks, again, for all your help!

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity