Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Using the Forum coin symbols as a font?  (Read 7787 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Using the Forum coin symbols as a font?
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:31:21 pm »
The symbols that appear above the message box - the emojis, Greek letters, and symbols from coin fields and mint marks - are small jpegs.  Does anyone know how to make them into usable fonts??

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Using the Forum coin symbols as a font?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:17:27 pm »
Hi Shawn on the net you have some free fontmaker software..

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:51 pm »
Hello, you can use it freely if you ask to Joe sermarini. I made it. But i have no idea how to put it on font. Try to use fontcreator and load symbols into the sofware, then you simply save as "new font". You will encounter some problems with the font of this site: the symbols are not same syze than a lot of normal font:
A :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>:
On this example if you see the A letter will be smallest than the symbol. I use it actually but im doing my own font with a designer. It is long.
You can try RIC font whose really nice BUT! be carefull, as all font, photos... there is copyright so you need the agreement. If it is private work you can use it freely, so go to RIC font. Otherway, ask to copyrught owners.

You create a website?

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 11:03:22 am »
Most of these symbols are available within standard Word document text.

I prefer to use these standard text characters, rather than the above font
images, as they are all the same regular size, can be sorted alphabetically
and also recognised in text searches.

A B Γ Δ E Z H Θ I K Λ M N Ξ O Π P Σ T Y Φ X Ψ Ω plus Ϙ Ϛ Ϝ Ϟ ϵ Ϸ - Upper case
a b γ δ e z h θ i k λ m n ξ o π p σ t y φ/ϕ x ψ ω plus ϙ ϛ ϝ ϟ ϶ ϸ - Lower case

I have often wondered whether these would be preferable to the above for
much the same reasons (something for Joe to consider updating?).

There are a couple of characters missing, but almost everything is there.

Thoughts?

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »
The characters we have are not a font. They are gif files. We cannot replace the symbols we have with this font because symbols we have are actually emoticons. I agree the font is better for almost every purpose. Please let us know how you are typing them here? Or how you access them in Word? Perhaps we can use them the same way?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 04:01:22 pm »
Maybe this can help:
http://www.symbole-clavier.com

The better way is to obtain agreement for use RIC font. But i dont know who i should contact.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:21:09 pm »
The characters we have are not a font. They are gif files. We cannot replace the symbols we have with this font because symbols we have are actually emoticons. I agree the font is better for almost every purpose. Please let us know how you are typing them here? Or how you access them in Word? Perhaps we can use them the same way?

Greek fonts are standard on MS Word, under the font name "symbol".  Also, if you go to "insert symbol" you can access Greek fonts with accent marks.  They also have Hebrew, Arabic, etc.  I've always been able to paste from a Word doc to Forvm with no problem.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:36:20 am »

Joe,

Firstly, Molinari is substantially correct, but the difference is that "Symbol" is a separate
font (with a few variants).

I use MS Word 2010. When you select the "Insert" option at the top left of the menu bar,
it will show a large Omega and the text "Symbol" with a little arrow (for further options).
Clicking this will open up some of the recently used characters, and allow you to select
"More Symbols". This pulls up a table of many different characters.

Under "Font" (top left) select "(normal text)" from the pull-down menu (should already be
the default setting).
At the bottom right there is an option "from", make sure it is set to "Unicode (hex)" for the
full listing of characters (the other two ASCII setting are not quite as useful).

You can either scroll through all of the characters, which I recommend doing at least once
if only to familiarise oneself with what is there, or go to the top right and select from the
"Subset" pull-down menu for direct navigation to the relevant characters.

The beauty of using these insertable characters is that one does not need to change any
fonts during the typing or setting process, nor does any recipient need to have any other
font at their end for document/pdf/etc. compatibility.

It also has the feature of indicating the name of the character to be selected, when one
highlights the particular character. There is an option to add a "Shortcut Key" for symbols
that are used regularly (advanced, make sure not to change any currently set keys!).

I have added a screen-shot image showing much of what I have tried to indicate above.

Walter

P.S. I imagine that the menus may vary, depending on which version of MS Word is in use.
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
Thanks Walter.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity