Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Parthian drachms for ID  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Parthian drachms for ID
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »
Hello ! Please help me to identify these two drachms. I can't understand where to read the king's name.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
Re: Parthian drachms for ID
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:52:26 pm »
Skolot, most Parthian drachms, like these, lack the ruler's name.

The coin at left is Vologases III, Sellwood 78.4.  Dr. G.R.F. Assar attributes this type to Pacorus I.

The coin at right is probably Artabanus II, Sellwood 63.6.

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 03:00:14 pm »
Thank you very much,  Robert L3 !
I have read about parthian coins at parthia.com, there is a list of legends that include the rulers name. As I understand on my coins the names are off-flan ? Have you seen any examples, explaining how to read the legends and where  the name should be ?

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 04:02:31 pm »
Actually, Skolot, personal names were left off of the majority of Parthian coins of all denominations, which is what can make attribution so challenging and which is why, for example, Sellwood and Assar assign your left coin to different rulers.  

"...I have read about parthian coins at parthia.com, there is a list of legends that include the rulers name."

The legends page of Parthia.com includes the coins' inscriptions, but most of these simply refer to the king as "Arsakes."  This was a title, named after the dynasty's founder.

There are exceptions to the general rule, however.  Some drachms issued by Vonones I and Gotarzes II, as well as tetradrachms issued by Vologases II, III, IV, V, and VI, all listed the kings' names.  I touch upon this issue in the "Basic Iconography" section here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Parthian%20Coins

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:09 pm »
Many thanks ! Very interesting !  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity