Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Postumus Virtus  (Read 979 times)

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
Postumus Virtus
« on: June 25, 2016, 02:33:27 pm »
Hello, can you help me find the mint on this coin? This for my collect but can you tell me his valor? Soul i clean it or not? And if i clean, how? There is a relief on obverse a 6h and on virtus head on reverse, so 2 coins break.
I think its
Obverse/  IMP C M CASS LAT POSTUMUS P F AVG
Reverse/ PM TRP COS II P P
12,89 grs for 30 mm.

Offline PYL

• Praetorian
  • PYL
Re: Postumus Virtus
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 02:57:31 pm »
double-sestertius

IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG
Imperator Cæsar Marcus Cassianus Latinius Postumus Pius Felix Augustus
P M TR P COS II P P
Pontifex Maximus Tribunicia Potestate Consul iterum Pater Patriæ
SC
Senatus Consulto

Bastien 63
de Witte 205
Cohen 246
RIC 106
Elmer 213

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:33:26 pm »
Hi,

The mints of Postumus are tricky. Current BM practice is that the buk of Postumus coinage is from a primary mint at Trier. As the bronze coinage mirrors (largely) the antoninianus coinage the good style pieces, such as this, should be assigned to the same mint. Bastien ascribes the same bronze coinage to Cologne.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:16:42 am »
Ok thank you. In case i would try to exchange those coins for others, is it some portraitures who's scarce i shouldnt exchange?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity