Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help with Chinese Amulet/Game Piece  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
ID Help with Chinese Amulet/Game Piece
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:26:29 pm »
When I picked this up I assumed it might be easily identified because of the character figure on the reverse.  No luck so far.  The words on the obverse are very muddy and I can not be sure of any of them.. The figure appears to be a peasant with a hoe over his shoulder.  A bird is in the left field and some sort of object is hanging off the handle of the hoe.  I am not sure if this is a charm or a game piece.  Any clues or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: ID Help with Chinese Amulet/Game Piece
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 01:22:48 pm »
Another rong hua fu gui (read right left top bottom)

i'm not sure about the pig, but it might be Zhu Bajie from Journey to the West

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 02:54:07 pm »
Thank You, The figures on the obverse were so muddy I never would have made them out.  Auspicious cloud tipped me off it was some sort of amulet.  I was mystified by the odd headgear of the figure on the reverse but never would have seen it as a pig facing.  So is the 'hoe' the Nine Toothed Rake?  What is  that fancy knot hanging off the end?

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:08:39 pm »

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 03:15:08 pm »
Yes,
    That is it.  Mine is a cast of that one with less detail.  Some traces of the engraving on the obverse is visible.  Original has much clearer figures.  So what would the purpose of this piece?  Charm?  Gambling token?

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:18:51 pm »
Typical charm inscription, so probably a charm

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 04:19:17 pm »
Thank You,
   I had discovered the Zeno site but have not discovered all that is there.   There was also another iron example of this piece.  Figure on the obverse top may be a stylized bat, not a cloud.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity