Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any accurate list of the biblical cities mints?  (Read 3706 times)

script

Any accurate list of the biblical cities mints?
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:45:08 am »
Dear Board;
I am looking for accurate list of the biblical cities mints?
thanks in advance

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Any accurate list of the biblical cities mints?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 03:45:49 pm »
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 04:45:42 pm »
Not as easy as it sounds. Many cities in the Bible have names that differ from their historical names and not all are certain. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:39:41 pm »
And for the most part the Old Testament references to cities pre-date coinage so reference to any mint in these cities is irrelevant to the Biblical context.  e.g. Babylon and Susa or Shushan in biblical Hebrew.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 12:39:32 am »
There are several methods to collecting coins with associations to Biblical cities. 

You can try for cities actually mentioned in the Bible (in their various names), cities simply located in Biblical lands which may or may not actually be mentioned in the Bible, others collect coins associated with the travels of the Apostle Paul (technically a sub-set of the first suggestion), or you can collect coins from the Seven Churches mentioned in Revelations.  And deeper analysis could probably come up with another half dozen suggestions.

If you have any of Hendin's "Guide to Biblical Coins", he has various lists.

As other have mentioned, there really is no definitive list....it's somewhat up to what you consider as "Biblical".

script

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:15:49 am »
Thanks all for your valuable contributions but i still very confused as things are not clear at all.... ???
Let's talk about Caesarea Paneas or Panias (as Caesarea Philippi),according to ID descriptions in major auctions it's in Judaea,for others it's in Syria Trachonitis,for others in Galilee.Looking closely to ancient and new maps provided here,it should be in Galilee as location....is it biblical city?
All the bests

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 07:27:27 am »
The location of site is known. It is in what is now called Golan Heights. Whether one calls it Judaea, Galilee or Syria, depends on the person's historical and political views.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:55:17 am »
The location of site is known. It is in what is now called Golan Heights. Whether one calls it Judaea, Galilee or Syria, depends on the person's historical and political views.
Thanks all for your valuable contributions but i still very confused as things are not clear at all.... ???
Let's talk about Caesarea Paneas or Panias (as Caesarea Philippi),according to ID descriptions in major auctions it's in Judaea,for others it's in Syria Trachonitis,for others in Galilee.Looking closely to ancient and new maps provided here,it should be in Galilee as location....is it biblical city?
All the bests

As Snegovik says, it depends on your point of view and time period. At one point, Paneas was part of the Judaean kingdom and was ruled by Judaeans (it was Philip's capital). It was later part of Syria.

Trachonitis is a region in the north, but it appears Josephus does not consider Paneas to be in it: "Gaulonitis, Trachonitis, Batanaea and Paneas were to be given as a tetrarchy to his son Philip..." (Ant. 17:189), "Philip built Caesarea near the sources of the Jordan, in the district of Paneas" (Wars 2:168).

As far as I know, Galilee never extended to Paneas.

Whether or not it is a "biblical city" is, of course, up to your definition.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:31:22 pm »
Personally, I absolutely consider Caesarea Paneas / Panias / Caesarea Philippi  as a Biblical city, as it was the capital city of Philip who is specifically mentioned in The Bible.

Offline Shepherd05

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 05:17:41 pm »
Dear N,

Caesarea Philippi is absolutely a Biblical city because it is clearly mentioned in Scripture. It is also an amazing ancient site!

"Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” - Matthew 16:13; cf. Mark 8:27

Catch ya soon my friend. Let me know when you get back. I love early coins from Philippi :) Feel free to write me if you have any Bible related questions.

Your friend,
Jared

All coins are guaranteed for eternity