Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Battle of Lugdunum 19 Feb. 196 not 197: a summary of C. Clay's arguments  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Battle of Lugdunum 19 Feb. 196 not 197: a summary of C. Clay's arguments
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 03:15:10 am »
It's obvious that some people have no idea what is going on on the level of academic studies; most museums, cabinets and depots welcome scholars either to carry out their studies there, or even in a place of their choice. I have been doing archaeological research into indigenous pottery of Iron Age and Roman Times, and have always been allowed to investigate the material in my own workshop. That is even a step further: they trust me with national heritage!

Frans

Offline Nicholas Z

• Praetorian
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 11:33:13 am »
Curtis,

Let me clarify: when I said that I found it hard to believe that museums would allow plaster casts back then I meant “Considering how careful museums seem to be regarding their artifacts nowadays, from a non scholar point of view, it seems like a big leap of faith.”   

I have no reason to doubt you, or the research and casting you did in the past.  It is something I knew nothing about so to hear it for the first time is a bit of a shock.   I’m not a scholar so I am not privy to the work scholars do.   From what you said in the post prior to mine, apparently the practice has fallen more into disuse by both choice of new scholars and museum policy.   That is what I would have expected being an outsider so the fact that you did a bunch of casting in the past was a surprise to me.

I would never doubt you and certainly not here.   Sorry for any confusion and poor writing on my part.

Offline nummis durensis

• Praetorian
    • perinawa
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:27 pm »
Again, I would like to say: Thank you very much, Curtis.

Your comments have helped me a lot to work out and understand this interesting time. I can only guess how much work and time you put into it.

I hope that your work will one day be included in the standard works as it deserves.

Best regards from Germany

Rainer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity