Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning Coins With Air!!  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
Cleaning Coins With Air!!
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:43:39 pm »
It might be premature but I have a new to me technique for cleaning ancient coins and can be used in conjunction with other techniques that people use, with the exception of oiled coins. Maybe people are already using this technique and haven't mentioned it anywhere, who knows.

I can't take any new photos right now because my monitor on my backup PC with the CF digital camera card reader went dead so soon I'm going to get a decent CF USB card reader. Until then I can't shoot photos.

I came up with this idea when I was considering using a spray can of air, but it's not a good idea because of the following reasons.

A air can has a lot of chemicals, has a lot of moisture and is very expensive buying cans. I used it anyways on one coin, used a entire can. The results were that it blew off all loose dirt that I had worked up, seemed like it was a little faster at getting a coin clean. Then I looked around for a low powered air compressor and came up with this.

It's called a Datavac, but is not a vacuum, it is a duster or blower mostly designed to blow out PCs and keyboards. It has a micro cleaning tool attachment as well.

https://www.metrovacworld.com/DataVac_Electric_Duster-ED500/overview

You can get them cheaper than $100 but they still ain't cheap.

I've only had it a few weeks but I've noticed some things already.

Dry cleaning techniques.

I blow the coin off dry, use a cotton swab and loosen up the dirt and scrub vigorously if I have to. Blow the coin off frequently. Use toothpicks and metal tools when needed. You only need to loosen up the dirt and then blow and use cotton swabs again. Sometimes I use a nylon brush as usual.

In combination with distilled water.

You can go through the dry cleaning technique and then wash the coin off with distilled water. I use cotton swabs when I'm washing a coin.

After a coin has soaked in distilled water for a long time. You can wipe the coin off and dry with a soft cloth and then use the blower to get the rest of the water off and a lot of moisture. Let the coin set for about 10 minutes and then blow it off again. This helps to prevent bronze disease but I don't know completely because I have not had this blower for long.

Here is a coin photo as an attachment that I removed the hard layer of mud off with the blower. I have since made more progress on the coin but I have not shot a photo yet of this Valentinian I Victory advancing left Siscia mint.

I'd like to know what you guys think. I have discussed it with a few people who think the idea has merit but we shall see. Some believe it may have no effect on a coin. But I think it has results and it is still slow. This is not the magic cleaner that people have been looking for but it helps.

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: Cleaning Coins With Air!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:55:46 pm »
Sorry, but  I don't see the difference between the blower and a chopped down toothbrush.  Maybe you can enlighten me.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
Re: Cleaning Coins With Air!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 09:23:59 pm »
The difference I see is that they are both different tools. Both are abrasive in different ways. You can use brushes on a coin and then use the blower. The brush is useful for loosening up dirt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity