Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nat. Geo. June 2016  (Read 918 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Nat. Geo. June 2016
« on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:05 am »
Has anyone read this yet?  It actually mentions Salem a few times.

The article was mostly anti-looting but not anti-collecting, and made some important points about perfectly legal objects that have no provenance.  It also raises important points about objects likely getting destroyed if they stay in their home countries (in cases of civil war, etc.).  So, overall, a decent mainstream article that wasn't entirely anti-collector and actually interviewed the collector involved in Salem's case, describing how well taken-care-of his antiquities are. 

I'd be interested to hear others' impressions. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Nat. Geo. June 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:52:24 am »
Salem's case?  Did I miss something in the news?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Nat. Geo. June 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 03:07:08 pm »
Thanks, Nick. That string is before my time as a Forum member, which explains why I knew nothing about it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity