Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The second port of Lincoln  (Read 1106 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
The second port of Lincoln
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:12:26 pm »

I have worked for nine years on a piece of land in Lincolnshire digging up wasters and having the glazed tiles drawn by pottery experts. I know my land was once owned by the Cistercian monks and was an outlying grange to the main abbey of Kirkstead.
  I have over this time talked to many people but so little is known that it seems to me that  not many people have knowledge of this place other than a gentleman and his wife who wrote about this it several years ago.
 The council are buying a strip of land for a bypass and so we have had a study done and in a 6 metre strip wall after wall has started to emerge. Medieval pottery ..two small pieces have come up and I wait with patience hoping that a coin or two will show up to give some definite dating evidence. Thrilled to see it at last peaking above the surface I do hope we can now get some answers Hoping to prove this was actually the second port of Lincoln.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: The second port of Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:44:16 pm »
Very neat.  Hopefully the wall construction yields some dating clues too.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:55:49 am »
Very neat.  Hopefully the wall construction yields some dating clues too.

Shawn

Thank you Shawn yes it is pretty spectacular watching it all appear. I don't bother them too much as they are working hard to clean it off and try and make sense of it. Not much dateable stuff turned up ....mostly medieval they seem to think the roman tiles were moved from the old roman site and just used in the other stone to make a wall rather than it being of roman origin.
  I will get chance to detect it at the weekend so I just may dig up something more encouraging.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:43:12 am »
That is very interesting Helen, you use the term wasters? What is that? The tossed Roman tiles?

CW

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:23:15 pm »
That is very interesting Helen, you use the term wasters? What is that? The tossed Roman tiles?

CW

Yes wasters are all the tiles that have been discarded some have blown in the kiln and some have just broken...most of the wasters are medieval I have ones with paw prints in them ,,,which shows as they were laid out to dry a cat and a deer walked over them

I feel very blessed being able to go down to the apple tree and pick up glazed thirteenth century tile its a huge buzz. Hopefully when the money is available the tile kilns will be examined and I hope there will be some more treasures to uncover, Thank you for your interest  

Up the other end of the field much nearer a known Roman complex is another kiln and hopefully this will reveal something similar to the link I have added...

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/heritage-culture-and-recreation/archaeology/surrey-county-archaeological-unit/recent-archaeology-projects/roman-tile-kiln-excavated-at-doods-road-reigate

All coins are guaranteed for eternity