Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mabbott lead tesserae  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Mabbott lead tesserae
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:27:23 am »
Does anyone know where the large collection of Mabbott lead tesserae ended up?  The collection was over 1600 pieces and assembled by Thomas Mabbott over decades.  It also included many piece from famous collections including Rostovtzeff's own collection.  It was to be sold intact as part of the 1969 Mabbott sale.

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Re: Mabbott lead tesserae
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:35:47 am »
I have been unable to trace this collection. It may have entered a private or unpublished collection. Or, it could have resurfaced as CNG 55, lot 1201 and/or Triton VIII, lot 2061 and 2124. These are the only large groups I know to have come onto the market, save for the pieces from the Trau collection that trickled out of Munich in the last decade.

There are two pieces from Mabbott sold as single lots (Part II, lots 5248 and 5282). If these two coins are present in the CNG 55 lot, I think there's a strong case that its the same collection. There is an EROS piece for the later illustrated, but it does not match the Mabbott one. Maybe someone can track down a marked Mabbott catalog and give us some insight. CNG's copy is plain.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity