Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Left-facing Trajan denarius - probably not listed yet  (Read 1017 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Left-facing Trajan denarius - probably not listed yet
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:47:53 pm »
Hi!

I would like to check with you this left-facing denarius of Trajan, I suppose it is unlisted in RIC and RSC and RD...I mean this very variant with left-facing Trajan.

Ob. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P - laur bust left with drapery on far shoulder
Rev. COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC - Aequitas standing left

RIC 118 (bust var), RSC 86 (bust var)

3,6 g (with pendant) - 18mm - 180'

As you can see the coin is still within the golden pendant - I did not remove it.  Would be interesting if someone in the know would advise if this is Roman style or barbarian- made pendant.  

This is already my fourth left-facing denarius that was utilized as pendant.  I have to admit that barbarians (or romans?) seemed to distinguish the left-facing portraits vis-a-vis common right ones, and used those rarer left portraits as pendants very often.

Also, would be interesting to know your point if view - should I keep or remove this golden pendant in order to preserve the value of the coin?
Thank you for your time,

Cheers,

Z.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Left-facing Trajan denarius - probably not listed yet
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »
If the pendant is ancient I would leave it attached!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:10:41 pm »
Woytek, MIR 278j, specimens in Warsaw and two in hoards. The Warsaw spec. illustrated, pl. 55; apparently same dies as yours.

As to the frame, I agree with Jay: it greatly increases the interest and value of the coin, so its removal would be a horrible mistake!
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:19:24 pm »
Thank you Jay!
Thank you Curtis!

Thank you for your advice...stupid me,  I almost decided to free the coin...I already did this mistake with Galloping Hadrian denarius - I removed broken silver pendant from it, and even garbaged it , which I regret a lot at the moment. 

Have a nice week ahead!

Cheers,

Z.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:42:39 am »
Interesting that Aequitas, not Trajan, is facing the right way when this pendant is worn, isn't it?

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 03:32:32 pm »
Rupert, thank you for your post! Well-noticed!...I guess that everyone of us would do it in a different way, ie placing Trajan in opposite direction. It seems that the previous owner of this pendant did not really care about the orientation of the portrait, or it was oriented specifically this way  - so that the owner of this pendant was able to see Trajan looking at him/her naturally, not upside-down, if the owner would want to hold the pendant in hand and kiss is it for instance. I cannot exclude that Trajan was percieved as some kind of God by a barbarian - I do believe that this is barbarian-made, as it was found on barbarian territory. By the way, nowadays, in my culture the christians used to kiss the pendant crosses when on the neck at certain occasions, like in chirch, etc...  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity